Chapter 18

The ticking of the clock and the twirling sound of the ceiling fan were the only noise heard. As at twelve midnight, the police station was practically empty except the three men, of which two were already dozing off.

They were lucky, Luna couldn't even close her eyes. Minus the damage Zach had already caused, her mind just couldn't find peace as her soul was troubled. Holding onto the bars, she sighed. The three women she shared a cell with didn't appear to be having an issue with sleep as all three were out before eleven. None had given her any problems from the time she arrived, but she didn't fail to see the sympathetic look passed at her by shortest of them.

Obviously, domestically abused women had the same classic look universally. She had turned around away, she didn't anyone's pity. The adrenaline hadn't faded at that time. Now that it was gone, the weight of her actions and the impeding consequences sat heavily on her shoulders. Never did she ever think it even envision herself in a police cell.
She wasn't that type of person, but then again, a lot of "good" people found themselves in dire situations where they were high on emotions and acted out.

Her one phone call to Zach was ignored. It's not like she believed he would, she just hoped. Luna was sure Jolene had made him aware of what was going on. Either he was too busy with whatever he doing to rush home, or Jolene had kept her mouth shut.

One thing was surely true, Jolene had concocted her own plot and twisted it to her perfection. Her spirits dampened immediately.

The sound of the metal bars being hit against, with an unfocused rythm, woke her up. She had unconsciously fallen asleep in a squatting position at the corner and her stiff muscles screamed for being in awkward position for too long.

"Mrs. Pierce, you're free to go!"
The blonde officer opened the cell waiting for her to step out. She couldn't believe it, apart from Jolene and maybe Zach no one had knowledge of her current location.

Walking slowly, she used her fingers to comb her disheveled hair that looked like a bird's nest. Passing by the officer, she looked around, searching for a familiar face. Wanting to see who had bailed her.

Her eyes widen in surprise when her eyes clashed with the middle aged woman who stood with her arms folded, smirking.

"Well, well, well. I really didn't think you had it in you."

Clarissa

"When my son called me at two am, saying I needed to bail you out I just couldn't believe it!"

Luna walked closer towards her, eyes staring at the ground and wringing her hands nervously. She could understand her surprise, it was supposed to be the other way round. Luna bailing out Clarissa. There was no way she could envision her husband doing that either, with all his addictions and his side business of selling pills to students, coming to the police station would be like entering into the lion's den.

Luna glanced up to see Clarissa watching her silently. So many emotions being expressed almost every second.
There was shame, anger, unhappiness and Luna was fast enough to see one that resembled.....concern ?

After a few minutes of silence, she jerked her head towards the exit, signalling Luna to follow.
"You look like shit, by the way" Clarissa mumbled.

Luna internally chuckled. Of course she did.

They had gotten a cab as soon as they had stepped outside. Except the occasional glances, they rode in silence. Clarissa whose had gripped her purse as she contemplated staring outside the window. She seemed to have a lot on her, and Luna almost felt sorry for her. She didn't have a great relationship with her mother-in-law, but there were times Clarissa acted civil and human towards her.