Comfort in darkness

This was requested by an Anon on tumblr who wanted 3 for general on a prompt list.

You hear the door open as Rex walks into your apartment, finally home from his long campaign. You turn to him, but notice that he looks absolutely devastated and has bags under his eyes as if he hasn't slept in days.

"Rex! Are you okay?" You ask him, but he doesn't answer. You walk over to him, wrapping your boyfriend in a hug. He doesn't move, hardly reacts at all.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm here."

"I'm fine. Just leave me alone." He tells you gruffly, trying to pull away but you hold on, only pulling away enough to cup his cheek. Something bad has happened. Something really bad.

"I'm not going to do that." You pull him close again, softly running your fingers against the back of his head.

"I love you." You whisper, hoping to help him through whatever has happened.

"You shouldn't." He whispers sharply, you hug him closer. You don't know what's happened to make him think this.

"Why not?"

"Because I killed people cyare." He sobs. You don't know what he means.

"I killed my own brothers." He whimpers out, and you pull away to look at him, as tears fall down his face.

"What do you mean, Rex? What happened?" You bring your hand up and softly wipe his tears away, you know your boyfriend and he wouldn't willingly kill his brothers. You pull Rex over to your couch to sit down and he starts telling you what happened.

"We were on Umbara, General Skywalker got called off planet. We had another General standing in. General Krell." Rex almost spits the name when he said it, there's so much hate in that name.

"He kept giving us battle strategies that would get my brothers killed, I tried to stop him, to give him a better strategy but he wouldn't listen. He was cruel, wouldn't even call me and my brothers by our names. Just our numbers." You keep Rex's hand wrapped in your's, feeling him tense up everytime he talks about this General.

"In the end I almost had Jesse and Fives executed, my brothers are the ones that wouldn't shoot them. Not me, I abandoned my brothers because of orders."

"Rex. You didn't abandon them, and none of that is your fault."

"It is my fault, I could have told him no but I didn't. But that wasn't the worse part, next the General told us that the Umbarans had gotten to the group of  212th soldiers and was wearing their armor." There's a pit in your stomach, you realize where this is going.

"We all got ready and went out to battle, we found the enemy easily and started shooting them. It kept going until I saw one of the dead enemy's with its helmet almost tipped back, it looked wrong. Not Umbaran." Rex freezes, taking deep breathes as you hold his hand tightly. it's causing him so much pain to tell you this.

"Rex. You don't have to say anymore, it's okay." You stroke his cheek softly, he leans into it, grabbing your hand and kissing your fingers.

"No. No, I want to tell you. I... I need to tell you." You nod, signaling for him to continue.

"I ran over to it and... And lifted the helmet off." Rex shutters, freezing again. You wait patiently for him to continue whenever he's ready.

"It... It was a brother. We were shooting at our own brothers, and we didn't even know it. I even took pride in it." Rex can't say anymore, he'll tell you the rest soon but can't now. He feels tears run down his face.

"Rex... Rex no. You had no idea that it was your brother's, you would never hurt your brother's intentionally." You pull him against you, kissing his tears away. You put all the love you have in ever kiss.

He sobs against you, letting out all the anger, pain, sadness and guilt he's been holding in. You let him, knowing that it will help him, you will always be here for him.

To comfort him in times like this, and too make sure that he never has to go through this pain alone.