The Loss

Warnings: Death. Loss.  mourning. Lots of angst.

A\N: I couldn’t help but write this, I hope everyone likes it. But prepare for the angst, theres a lot.

Stutter waits for the shuttle holding his brothers to return, as excitement fills him. Fives, Echo and Rex were sent on a mission to the Citadel to rescue a Jedi. They've been gone a few days and Stutter’s missed his older brothers, he’s been pretty worried about them, he knows that there's never been a successful escape from the Citadel.

“Calm down, Stutter.” Stutter yelps with surprise, turning to see Jesse, who chuckles. “S-Sorry, Jess.” Jesse chuckles as he hugs Stutter close. “No need to apologize, Stutter. I know you’re just nervous for our brothers, it’s okay. So am I.” Stutter smiles as he cuddles into Jesse, he’s been a part of the 501st for about six months now, and he’s really grown close to his brothers.

“Do y-you think th-th-they’re all ok-k-kay?” Stutter asks quietly, looking up at Jesse, who takes a deep breath. “I’m not sure yet, either. But our Vod’e are strong, they’ll make it back, Vod’ika.” Stutter nods, he trusts Jesse. “I c-can’t wait, Echo prom-promised me that-t I could paint so-something on his armor! S-So that ev--ev-everyone knows I’m his broth-th-ther and he’s pr-proud of it, as h-he said.” Jesse smiles softly, that definitely sounds like something Echo would do. Jesse slings a hand around Stutter’s shoulder and pulls him close against his side. “Well, I’m sure that whatever you draw, Echo will love it.” Stutter smiles widely, then both him and Jesse turn towards the landing bay as they hear a ship. “Th-They’re back!!” Stutter goes running towards the ship as it lands, Jesse laughs and follows after him, the doors to the ships open as the both of them get there. General Skywalker, General Kenobi, and Commander Tano walk out, they immediately give Stutter looks of pity, making him frown.

“Wh-What’s wrong?” Stutter asks, but they just look at the ground. Stutter gets a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach, Jesse places a hand on his shoulder as an older man steps out. He glares at Stutter with malice as he walks by, making Jesse pull Stutter close. A few more people walk out, followed by a few troopers who all keep their heads down. Then comes Commander Cody, he takes his helmet off and gives Stutter a sympathetic look as he walks by. Then Fives walks out.

“Fives!!” Stutter runs forward, only to be pushed away. “Leave me alone!!!” He marches forwards as Stutter flinches and tears up, Jesse pulls him close. “What's gotten into you, Fives!!!!” He yells at the retreating figure of his brother as Rex walks out, that's when Jesse notices-- “Where's Echo?” Stutter looks at Rex’s face after Jesse asks that, but he doesn’t need to be told the answer, he can already tell from his expression. “N-No. No n-no no!!!” Stutter yells as Rex tears up and stares at the ground. “Stut-- “No!! He can’t be gone!” Stutter has tears falling down his face as Rex pulls him close, and Jesse lets his own tears fall. “No. H-He was-wasn’t supp-p-posed to die.” Stutter whimpers as Rex holds him close, rocking him back and forth. “Shh, I know. I--“ Rex chokes on a small sob. “I know.” Rex holds Stutter as they both cry, and after a few minutes, Jesse joins in on the hug. all three mourning the brother they've lost.

xxx

Stutter cries into his pillow, trying to be as silent as possible so that none of his brothers hear him. Rex is somewhere else doing reports at the moment, and Jesse is sleeping in his bunk, but Stutter can’t bring himself to wake him. He wants Echo, or Fives. At the thought of Fives a fresh wave of tears come up, his Ori’Vod is mad at him. Did he do something wrong? Stutter doesn’t know what to do, or what he had done. Stutter then freezes as he hears the door to the barracks open and someone walks in, he tries to quiet down but he can’t help but let out tiny whimpers and sobs.

He hears the footsteps stop at his bed, and a hand touches his back. “Stutter?” Stutter freezes as he recognizes Fives’ voice, he starts to cry fresh tears, then he hears Fives sigh as he sits down on his bed.

“Stutter. I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have yelled at you.”  Stutter turns over to look at Fives, who has his own tear stained face. “I’m s-sorry for mak-making you mad-d.” Fives gets a sad look, then he gently runs a hand through Stutter’s hair. “No, no you didn’t make me mad, Stutter. You did nothing wrong, Vod’ika.” Stutter nods, then his eyes fill with tears again. “Ec-Echo’s gone.” Stutter whispers, and Fives’ eyes fill with tears as he gently nudges Stutter over. Stutter moves towards the wall, then Fives lays down and gently pulls him against his chest. Stutter starts sobbing again, making Fives gently run his hand along his back, shushing him gently. “Shh, it’s okay, Stutter.” Fives chest is heaving slightly as silent tears fall from his own eyes. “It’s going to be okay, Vod’ika. I’m still here.” Stutter cries into Fives’ chest, wetting his blacks in that spot, but Fives doesn’t care.

“He w-was supp-supposed to come b-b-back, he promis-mised. He said I c-could draw som-something on his ar-armor.” Fives’ hold tightens, and for a moment, only a moment, he hates Echo for getting himself killed, for leaving him, and for making their Vod’ika feel this way. But it’s only a moment, and when the moment passes, Fives feels horrible for it. But he pushes the feelings back for now. “I know, I know Stutter.” Fives doesn’t know what to say next, but then it comes to him, and he knows what to say. “Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la.” Fives whispers, making Stutter cry harder. Fives hugs him close as the two mourn together for their fallen brother, wishing that Stutter hadn’t have had to lose someone while he’s this young, or ever. But he knows that even though this is Stutter’s first time losing a close brother, it will not be his last.