Eating

Dearest Wattpadians,

Today we're going to discuss healthy eating habits. So a while back I went to a dietitian, I wasn't eating a lot or unhealthy, exercising and I wasn't losing weight. Later I found out that I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome which explained why I gained weight, and struggled to lose it, but all this just meant that I had to work harder. I'm still struggling to conform to all this knowledge, but hopefully you'll have better luck.

I wanted to add this chapter because weight always seems to be an issue among women. There's always some kind of new diet or pill out there that does wonders. I've always found all those things quite scary, and thought that it is quite an extreme shock for your body to go through.

"BEST" NEW DIET: Eat 5 pieces of popcorn today. One slice of cucumber tomorrow. The next three days you're only allowed to drink water! And one day a week you can go crazy, reward yourself and lose all the progress that you've made all week. YAY. What?

I hope all of you realized that the above was highly over-exaggerated. I know they're not that bad, but still none of these diets ever really seem healthy, and most importantly they don't seem to have a lasting effect.

This is written on the first page of the file that I got from the dietitian, "Dieting, fasting, injections, weight loss clinics, appetite suppressants, etc only treat the symptoms. The body gets worse due to the depletion of more nutrients resulting from the cutback of food". Another thing she made abundantly clear is that we gain weight because we don't eat enough, and you'll see what I mean by that below.

I'll say this again, I am not a professional and the tips I give you are not set in stone. You have to know your body, how much it can take and what it can eat.

She created an eating plan that made me eat 6 times a day, 3 main meals and 3 snacks.

"A plate of food should have half the volume filled with vegetables or salad, leaving one quarter for a serving of lean protein and the other quarter for a serving of lower GI (glycemic index) starch" Mopani Pharmacy Pamphlet.

So basically you will be eating a cup of veggies, half a cup of starch and half a cup of protein three times a day. Between these meals you will have a snack: yogurt, fresh fruit, dried fruits, small handful of nuts, jerky, whole-grain/whole-wheat cookies/small muffin, popcorn and the list goes on. The idea is to eat every 2 or 3 hours to keep your metabolism active.

This isn't a diet! I want to make this very, very clear. These are healthy eating habits that will keep your body happy. I've been talking about all these facial and hair products, but that's just a third of what you need to do to keep your skin, body and hair happy, the other is eating well and being active.

Food to avoid: Bacon (sorry, guys), fries/chips and white bread. 

Don't forget to drink your water! 2l or about 8 glasses a day!

Desert: Feeling naughty? Have some dark chocolate / frozen yogurt with your dinner. Keep everything in moderation.