Homecoming {Law & Order: Special Victims Unit}

A/N: Sorry for the long wait. But here I am with a new Oneshot. It's not long but that's how I imagine Stabler's comeback. Hope you'll like it.

"Morning, Cap. There's a visitor in your office. Waiting for you", Kat greeted Olivia on a Tuesday morning.

"Any idea who the person is?" Benson asked while putting her phone in her pocket.

"No. He didn't introduce himself to me. Just asked for you. Told him you're on your way in and will be here shortly. After that, he walked into your office."

"Alright. I'm going to see what that mystery man wants from us." Benson turned away from Tamin and went to her office.

"I'm Captain Benson. What can I do for you?" Olivia put her stuff down at her desk.

"Hello, Liv."

She looked up and took a closer look at the man in front of her. It was her former partner. He was older and got grey but it was her former partner. Years later after vanishing from the face of the earth he had the decency to just turn up.

"Stabler. First, it's Captain Benson to you." She walked over to stand in front of him.

Elliot nodded. "Yeah, I probably deserve that."

Olivia shook her head in agreement. "Probably a lot more than that. What can I do for you, Stabler?"

Later that night, Olivia was sitting in her office finishing up the last few reports of the case. A knock on her office door made her lookup.

"After all these years and one thing didn't change." Elliot entered her office and sat down in the visitor chairs in front of her desk.

Olivia sighed. "Yeah. But as a captain, you sometimes can't leave first. You know the trill. After all, you're a lieutenant yourself. Sooner or later, you'll have to do that, too."

Her former partner took a deep breath and looked around. "Still can remember the times we were in cap's office all these years back. The many times I stormed out. And the times we got justice for the victims."

Olivia nodded with a sad smile. "The thing I remember clearly is the time when Cragen told me you're not coming back."

Elliot turned his look over to Olivia. "Liv... I can explain..."

Benson held her hand up. "Just listen for once, Stabler. You can talk later."

"Alright. I'm listening."

"Cragen told me, that you put your papers in. And I excepted it. But for a long time, I felt... betrayed. You left without a goodbye. I had to pack up your desk. My new partner had a hard month gaining my trust."

She took in a shaky breath. "In the years you were gone, I went through hell and back. If it weren't for the squad and Cragen and a special little boy... Who knows where I am now."

There was a small pause before she went on. Elliot looked at her and waiting patiently for her to continue.

"When Cragen and Munch retired I stepped up. I became a sergeant, a lieutenant, and finally a captain. And I wished you were there to witness it. But you weren't. The squad was the one cheering me on. It's true what I said to my former partner. I grew more with him n for your years than with you in 12 years. We were so comfortable with each other that leaving the other wasn't even something to consider. Even though, I tried a few times. So you leaving as you did... it hurt but it seems it was the right choice for our careers. And I thank you for it. I wouldn't be here where I am now. And you probably wouldn't be, too."

Silence filled the room. Elliot wasn't sure what he should tell her. "Liv... I'm sorry. I didn't..."

He just wanted to start an apology and an explanation of why he left when he got interrupted by his phone. He held up a finger and answered the call. "Stabler. Kathy... Alright. Keep calm. Take Eli and hide somewhere safe. I'm on my way."

He hung up and left Olivia's office in a hurry. She's following him. "Where are you going?"

"Home. Kathy and Eli are in danger. Seems like we pricked into the hornet's nest." He stood in the middle of the squad room.

Olivia nodded. "I'm going with you." She ran back to her office and got her badge and jacket. "Let's go".

"What are you doing?" Stabler wasn't sure if he heard her right.

"Going with you. You are not going along into that. You once said "Partner for better or worse", right?" She turned away from him and left to the elevators. "So what is it? You coming?"

Elliot followed Olivia and it nearly felt like old times. It seems like his explanation had to wait for a bit.