Blindness {S.W.A.T.}

Hondo entered the emergency waiting room, going straight to Deacon. "What happened out there?"

"I don't know for sure. Tess was right behind us but when we came out, she wasn't there anymore. We contacted her over the radio. No answer. Shortly after, the building exploded. We all thought she was gone, when she came out, carrying a little girl. The girl had her mask on. We got them both to the paramedics. Tess kept saying she was fine. The ambulance just left, we packed up. She suddenly asked where we were. That's when she told us she could see shit. We rushed her to the emergency. That was two hours ago." Deacon rubbed his right hand over his face and sighed.

"No one updated you guys since then?" Hondo asked and looked around. The team sat around all in various stages of worry. Deacon shook his head.

"No. We're not immediate family. Even the captain can't get any information. Last I heard, they were trying to reach her emergency contact.

Hondo's phone started ringing. "Harrelson... I'm in the waiting room. Alright, I wait." He ended the phone call. Deacon looked at him curiously. "The hospital. Tess's doc wants to talk to me. He should be here shortly."

"So, you're her emergency contact?" Deacon grinned at him. "Should I know something about you two?"

"No. But yes, I'm her emergency contact. But the reason is a long story that she should tell you when she's ready for it. It's not my right to tell you."

Deacon nodded. "You're right. Now go talk to the doc. Bring back good news." He pointed to the doctor who just arrived and looked around for Hondo.

Hondo waved at him and walked over to the doctor.

"Harrelson?" The doctor asked and Hondo nodded. "How is she?"

"She's fine so far. But she'll need help for a couple of weeks or maybe for the rest of her life. The chemicals that exploded, hurt her eyes. We have to see what happens. She could see again or she stays blind." Dr. Miller explains.

"Okay. When can she leave?" Hondo knew how much Tess hated hospitals. No matter how injured she got. She always wanted to leave as soon as possible.

"I could get her out of here when she has someone to stay with her. Tess's family already denied it. And we only have you as an emergency contact and possibility for her to stay." The doctor looked through Tess's patient record. "More family or other people aren't listed."

Hondo agreed with Dr. Miller's suggestion. "She can stay with me. Can Tess have visitors?"

"She can. I get the discharge papers. Hondo thanked him. Dr. Miller left while Hondo turned back to the waiting room. The team looked up when they saw their team leader entering.

"Hondo, how is she?" Deacon asked the question nobody really wanted to ask afraid of the outcome.

"She's fine but the doc told me that she's blind. They don't know if it's for the time being or the rest of her life. I'm going to see her. Tess will get discharged soon and will be staying with me. You guys should come home and come by my house tomorrow to visit her."

Relieve flood through the team.

"Okay. You need something or should we bring anything?" Deacon looked at him.

Hondo nodded. "In her locker, there should be a bag with a change of clothes. Could you bring that over to my house?"

"Don't worry. I'll take care of it", Chris answered and got her stuff ready to leave. Hondo thanked her. She smiled. "Not for that. Tess's family. Text me when you're home." She left the waiting room with a short goodbye to everyone.