54: Jawaad

I was still busy with some paperwork when Muhammad walked into my office, bearing a cup of coffee.

I signed the last paper in front of me, then closed the folder.

"Here." Muhammad handed the mug to me and took a seat on one of the swivel chairs.

"Thanks." I mumbled.

"You're welcome. I deduced you'd use a cup of coffee. You've been working for three hours, without taking a break."

"Thanks." I mumbled my appreciation again and took a sip. "Nice. Did you make it?"

He shook his head. "Nah. Your secretary did. I asked her to."

"I could tell by the taste." I chuckled, setting the mug on the desk.

Muhammad sneered. "What do you mean by that? Are you indirectly telling me I suck at making coffee? Coffee of all things?"

I shrugged. "I didn't say anything."

Muhammad cleared his throat.

Immediately he did that, I knew he wanted to start a discussion with me—a particular one that would irritate me.

"How far?"

"What?" I raised a brow, questionably. I knew what he wanted to know. He most definitely knew I did and was playing dumb.

"How is it going?"

"How is what going?"

Muhammad sneered. "I'm speaking about her."

"Who's her?" I shook my head.

"You know who I'm talking about."

"I don't." I feigned ignorance.

"Okay." He sighed. "How's it going with Manal? Any improvements?"

I didn't know what he meant by improvement, so I simply shrugged. "We're good...I guess."

"Good?" He chuckled. "What do you mean by 'good'? Be specific, please."

"Good." I furrowed my brows. "Is there a different meaning to the word?"

"Jawaad." He reclined forward in his seat. "I just want to know if you're now serious about her. By the way you sometimes talk about her, it seems the girl has already fallen hard for you."

"Of course she has." It was obvious. Top obvious not to be noticed by even the nonchalant.

"And you?"

"What about me, Muhammad?" I questioned. "You already know how I feel about her, don't you? Why do you keep asking? Don't you have any other thing to talk to me about whenever we're together. You are fond of always  bringing up her topic. Why is that?"

"Because I don't want the young girl to be cheated."

"Cheated?" I chuckled. "Why do you talk as if I plan to rob her or something?"

"You're actually robbing her, if you don't know." He rolled his eyes.

"Of what?" I sneered.

"Of her innocence. The girl is naive. She thinks you actually like her. How do you think she'd feel when she comes to know that everything you two have had so far was planned? The text messages, the late night call, the encouragements...everything was all planned. Do you think she would be pleased? She's definitely going to have a hard time trusting another man."

"Like I have always said to you, it's not that deep, Muhammad."

"It is." He nodded. "Actually."

"Okay, if you say so."