80: Jawaad

"Are you sure you don't need anything else?" Farida asked, dropping the glass of orange juice on the nightstand.

I shook my head.

"I have noticed you've been mute for a while now. Are you alright?"

I wrinkled my forehead. "Mute? How?"

"I expect you to have a lot of things to share with me. I also have many things I want to discuss with you."

Typically, I would have told her to go back to her room and allow me rest, but because I had been away from her and everyone else for days, I held back.

It was kind of compensation for all the worries I had her go through. She even had to leave school because of me.

"What do you want us to talk about?"

Farida put down the glass of orange juice and had a seat on the stand. "I know mum said we should allow you rest, but I just can't get this out of my mind."

"What is it?" I probed.

"When you find out about Imani, why did you go to her alone?"

I remained silent for I didn't want to tell a lie to her. For a fact, I knew I shouldn't have done what I did because it was risky, but I didn't want to drag anyone into my problems. "I thought I could talk to her."

"We were so worried about you. I acted tough on the outside, but deep down, I thought I'd never get to see you again."

"It's all in the past now," I said. "Let's put it behind us."

Farida sighed. "From the very beginning, I knew something was off with that girl. It's no wonder I didn't like her." Farida paused for a while. "I know she saved you and all that, but it doesn't matter since she's the one that put you in the situation in the first place. You shouldn't forgive her."

"And then what?" I hummed. "Honestly, I don't really blame her for what happened. I mean, I saw the red flags, but I chose to ignore them. I don't even love her." I admitted. I had known that for a while, but I didn't just want to think too much about it, because I felt it wasn't important.

Sincerely speaking, I was attracted to Imani's sense of direction, not her, as a person. I felt she would make a good wife, as long as she knew what her priorities were. For me, love was infinitesimal.

"If you don't love her, why did you want to get married to her? I don't understand."

"Farida," I called, exhausted. "Can you just drop it? What has happened has happened. My eyes are now open."

"What's going to happen to her now? Are you going to forgive her just like that?"

"I don't know." I shrugged. "It's left for you people to decide."

"If it was up to me, I'd say we allow her rot in prison. I don't care if she saved your life. The genesis of the whole thing is her."

"Okay," I mumbled. I didn't want to keep talking about Imani-not because I was still disappointed in her-it only lasted for a moment. I just didn't want anything to do with her anymore.

Farida remained silent for a few minutes. I didn't know what was going on in her mind, but by her demeanor, I could tell she wanted to tell me something but was holding back.

"What is it?" I questioned. "You can tell me."

"Are you sure? You're not going to get mad?"

"I won't," I assured. "What is it?"

"We were able to find you because of...Manal. She played a huge part in all of these. I think you should call and thank her for everything..." Her voice trailed. "Please?"