44: Manal

Yo! The target wasn't just met, but surpassed. Over 170 votes and comments💃🤸 y'all are amazing. Let's keep up the energy 🔥

Two weeks passed in a blink of an eye. Thankfully, things had been going really great for me-health-wise and studies. Ajoke had resumed, but sister Hauwa was yet to. Though Hala and Ajoke still didn't get along good, their level of tolerance had tremendously waxed. I was grateful for that, because, phew! I wouldn't have to be settling fights every now and then. For me, it was a great relief.

Above all, Jawaad and I were really getting along perfectly. Ever since he sent that message two weeks ago, we had been chatting on daily basis. In that span of time, I had gotten to know a lot about him...likewise him. I had no idea he was a sportsman, until he mentioned it. I found that attractive. I was impressed, because I equally enjoyed sport to some extent.

I rolled over in my bed, facing the white wall. A smile curled up my lips when I heard my cellphone beep. I quickly reached for it, but on unlocking it, I rolled my eyes in disappointment. It was Sunday and noon already, Jawaad hadn't messaged me. For some inexplicable reason, I felt something was wrong somewhere, because it was atypical of him. I wasn't supposed to be that worried over something as trivial as that, but I couldn't help it. I didn't know when or how he did it, but he had effortlessly made me consecrated to chatting with him. It was folly.

"Manal, are you sure you're alright?" Ajoke inquired. She was seated beside the foot of the bunk she and Sister Hauwa shared, eating from a pot.

"Huh?" I turned around, now facing her.

"You seem disturbed." She observed. "Restless." She added. "What's on your mind? Expecting a call?"

"A message." I corrected. Though we were consistent in chatting, we had never for once spoken over the phone. Uncanny, but I preferred it that way. I was somewhat not ready to speak to him over the phone. I couldn't explain the feeling.

"From who? Your parents?" She asked, scooping a spoonful of jollof rice into her mouth.

"No...not them." I replied in a low-pitched voice.

"Oh!" She wiggled her brows, teasingly. "From your boyfrien-"

"No!" I quickly cut her off. "The person is merely a friend." Yes. Friend. That was the only term I could think of to use to describe him. So far, we had only conversed like friends would. He hadn't given me an hint that he liked me...in that way. Sometimes, I felt he was only keeping up with me, because I was his younger sister's friend and nothing else. I just hoped not, because it would without a doubt shatter my heart. My hopes were already high into the skies.

"Merely a friend." She huffed. "Why the emphasis though?"

"So you'd be convinced." I deadpanned.

"Okay." She nonchalant shrugged. "Why hasn't the person messaged you yet?"

"I don't know." I repressed the urge to snap at her. "I'm worried because I have no idea."

"Have you tried giving the person a call?"

"No." I blurted.

Her eyes dilated a little. "You haven't? Why is that?"

"Because..." My voice trailed. "I don't want it to seem like I'm desperate for his attention."

"A caught!" Ajoke chuckled.

I furrowed my brows in incomprehension. "What?"

"I don't want it to seem like I'm desperate for his attention." She mimicked and laid emphasis on 'his'.