87: Manal

Rejecting Jawaad took a lot of courage from my side. Deep within me, I knew I still had feelings for him, but I didn't want to be played with again. I hadn't even recovered totally from the previous heartbreak...

When I rejected Jawaad, I thought he would get offended and want nothing to do with me anymore because I was well aware of how behemothic his ego was, but shockingly, he didn't. He became even more persistent.

I had finished my 400l first semester's examinations and had gone back to Abuja for my internship in the Standards Organization of Nigeria. Na'eem was doing his at Nasco LTD, and as for Hala, I had no idea because she didn't tell me.

Every morning, I would find Jawaad waiting for me in front of the corporation. On the first day I met him there, I learned it wasn't very far from his place of work. As politely as I could, I told him to stay away from me, but it fell on deaf ears.

The following day, he returned with gifts for me. Though flattered, I donned a poker face and told him that he wouldn't be able to win me over by giving me gifts.

Just like every other morning, I arrived at the organization and found Jawaad's car parked a few distances from the gate. He had been doing that for five days consecutively.

I alighted from the car and told the driver he could leave.

Immediately Jawaad saw me, he plastered on a smile.

I didn't smile back.

I walked up to him with my brows tightly furrowed. "What are you doing here?"

"Good morning to you too." He greeted, sarcastically. "How are you?"

I rolled my eyes in response.

He said, "I will take that as 'I'm alright, thank you'."

"What do you really want from me, Jawaad?" I asked for the umpteenth time. "Why won't you just leave me alone. I said I'm not interested in being in a relationship with you. Are you trying to force me?"

"Nope." He shook his head. "Of course not."

"How can you explain you stalking me then?"

"Stalking?" He chuckled. "I'm not stalking you. I'm simply visiting you, but if you don't want me to keep coming, I can stop, but I assure you, you will miss me."

I scoffed. "Who do you think you are?" I wanted to talk rudely or even throw a few insults at him to make him stop coming back, but after one look at him, I retracted.

I just couldn't do it.

"On a serious note, Manal, I just want us to be friends. For now." He added the last part in a somewhat conceited manner.

"As I said before, I don't want to be friends with someone who will constantly stab me in the back. I don't keep hypocrites as friends." I didn't realize how harsh my words were until I uttered them.

I looked at Jawaad and noticed his demeanor had changed. I instantly wished I could take back my words.

Jawaad jiggled his keys in the hand and walked past me. He said nothing. Not even a goodbye.

My heart fell. I felt bad because he had constantly apologized for what he did, but at every chance I got, I threw his mistake at his face. It was uncalled for.

Throughout the day, I wasn't myself. I kept on glancing at my phone, hoping he would call. After what I said to him, I knew it was practically impossible, but I just couldn't concentrate on the work in front of me.

I couldn't call him either. It would make it seem to him as though I also wanted him. It may be the case, but I didn't want him to have an idea. We were better off this way because I didn't have any plans of ever falling into his traps again.