49: Jawaad

I eyed the sky, skeptically; the clouds that had been white all morning, were now awash with various shades of grey, giving the weather a pre-dawn aura. Plus, the air was humid. It looked like it was about to rain.

"Are you sure you want to leave right now?" Mum's soft voice pulled me out of my reverie.

I looked at her, gave a tight lipped smile, then a subtle nod.

Mum leaned against my car and heaved a sigh. "I think it's going to rain." She continued.

"Yeah." I agreed, looking up to the sky. "It's quite obvious."

"It's going to be dangerous driving in the rain. Why don't you postpone your trip for another day or alternatively, wait till the rain has finished pouring."

"I can't, mum." I shook my head. "If I don't go today, I don't think I'll be able to do that this week."

"Then wait for a while."

"Mum!" I feigned irritation, then smiled afterwards. "You worry too much about me. I'm a big boy, you know."

The moment she rolled her eyes, I knew she had already given in to my decision.

"Okay, but please say your dua and be extra careful on the way. If it starts raining, stop somewhere and continue only when the rain stops."

"Yes, ma'am." I nodded fervently. "I will do as the boss instructs. You know your wish is always my command." I leaned a bit and planted a swift kiss on her forehead. "I will be back tomorrow, in Sha Allah. I won't forget to send your regards to your favorite daughter."

"And to Manal as well." Mum added; a smile tugging at her lips. "Please don't leave without speaking to her. Do it for me."

I repressed the urge to laugh at Mum. She had no idea why I was going to Zaria in the first place. It was to see Manal, but of course, I wasn't going to let her know. I was going to allow her believe I was only traveling to Zaria to meet her beloved daughter. "Manal?" I feigned surprise. "Why should I speak to her?"

Mum frowned. "I thought we had an agreement. You promised to get to know her better."

"I know I did, mum, but I'm trying to take my time. I can't just dive into this. I have my self-respect."

"What self-respect?" Mum sneered. "You're the man. You don't expect her to do the chasing."

I chuckled. "But what's wrong if she does it?" I raised a brow. "Mum, this isn't ancient days. Things have actually changed for the better. In this modern days, girls approach the men they like and make it known to them."

Mum scrunched up her face in disagreement. "That's shamelessness. It's not wrong, but I don't support that."

"It—"

"Jawaad!" She called my name, making me automatically stop talking. "I won't have this argument with you now. You better start going before I change my mind."

"Alright then, since you can't wait to get rid of me." I feigned anger. "I'm leaving." I got into my car and inserted the key in the ignition.

Mum's wave was the last thing I saw before driving out of the compound.

Few minutes into the drive, the rain began to pour. I knew I made a promise to mum to not drive in the rain, but since the rain wasn't so heavy, I decided to keep on driving.

I wasn't surprised when my phone suddenly began ringing. Even without checking the caller ID, I already knew whom it was—mum. She was probably calling to remind me not to drive recklessly.