5. Manal

Satisfied with the conversation I had with Ummi, I went back to my room with a permanent smile plastered on my face. I had no idea it would go that smoothly. Initially, I had thought she didn't care about my wellbeing, but what abii would think when he returns, but she proved me wrong.

Once I was back in the confines of my room, I slumped down into the bed and immediately I closed my eyes, the image of Jawaad flashed into my mind. Instantly, my eyes fluttered open. I sat up and cringed in embarrassment. "I wonder what's he must be thinking of me!" In spite of how much I tried to get rid of the awful image from my mind, it kept on drifting back. I felt extremely embarrassed and for a fact, I knew I would never be able to face him again. "Arrgghhh!" I lay back down on my face and put a pillow above my head. "This is bad!" I mumbled.

"Manal." Imran suddenly walked into the room, without knocking on the door.

I rolled my eyes at him and sat up. "What do you want now, Imran?"

"Ummi is cooking in the kitchen, won't you to go and assist her?" He responded.

"I'm not feeling well, can't you see that?" I sneered. "Now, leave my room, I want to rest."

"Alright then." He shrugged and walled out of the room.

I heaved a sigh of exasperation, before following suit. I went directly to the kitchen and true to Imran's words, she was in there, preparing breakfast. Imran was helping her slice onions. I was really surprised she didn't call me down to help her. Perhaps, it was due to what happened yesterday. "Ummi." I moved closer to her. "Why didn't you call me to do this?"

"No, it's fine." She responded. "I want to do this. Besides, Imran is here to help out. You can go ahead and sweep the house."

No!

"Alright, Ummi." I faked a smile. I really wasn't in the mood to do household chores.

After I was done sweeping the whole house, I was beyond exhausted and hungry as well, so I headed directly to the dining room. Ummi and Imran were already eating when I arrived. Imran was already clad in his well ironed school uniform. He just got into junior secondary school recently, but he acted more mature than many seniors I knew. I couldn't say the same for myself. Perhaps, that's the reason Ummi respects his feelings a lot.

I took a seat on my usual seat at the dining table, served myself and began to dig into my food like a starved animal. I didn't fail to notice the way Ummi was staring at me. I cleared my throat a bit and adjusted my posture.

Imran finished his meal and went to hug Ummi. "I will get going now." He informed.

"Alright. Study well. May Allah protect you." She prayed. "The allowance I gave you for the week is still remaining, koh?"

"Ameen. Yes, ummi." He responded, then turn to me. "Bye, Manal."

"Bye." I waved. My gaze trailed behind him as he walked out of the room. Sometimes, I couldn't help, but admire Ummi and Imran's relationship. It may sound odd, but I wasn't as close and open as he is with her. Over the years, we had bonded really well, but there was still a tiny void that hadn't been filled up. A void I couldn't pinpoint. I always felt something was missing. I felt out of place.

"Did you hear what I just said?" Ummi narrowed her eyes at me.

I snapped out of my trance and averted my gaze to her. "Sorry. What did you say?"

"What have you been thinking about?" She asked, gazing intently at me.

I lowered my gaze. "It's nothing, Ummi. I just suddenly remembered the things that happened yesterday." I lied.