56: Manal

Let me start by apologizing to y'all. I updated yesterday and logged out. I didn't return until earlier, because I was caught up in preparations for resumption, and I found out the chapter failed to update. I guess my network connection had a problem.

Due to the inconveniences this might have caused, I added few more scenes to this chapter, making it extra extra long. Long. Lol. I hope this compensates for the mistake.

...and, don't forget to vote, comment and share.

Love you all ❤️

Ummi's words from earlier still had me unnerved. No matter how hard I tried to spurn it, it kept on ringing in my ear, like a mantra.

I wondered when I'd finally be able to get some freedom, to do whatever I wanted.

I lay down in my bed, and shut my eyes. I was trying to get some sleep, when I heard a vigorous knock on the door.

Without being told, I already knew whom it was, because I was already familiar with the sound of everyone's knock at home.

"What is it, Imran?" I asked; my eyes still closed.

"Ummi is calling you?"

"I'm studying." I lied. I was still mad at Ummi. I didn't even want to see her at the moment.

"I didn't ask what you're doing. I said. Ummi. Is. Calling. You." He enunciated his words in a high-pitched voice.

I rolled my eyes.

"Manal! Open up." Imran banged on the door.

I clenched my fist. Imran was really getting on my nerves. It wasn't the first time-in fact, it had become part of his daily routine to irk and frustrate me. A pain in the neck, was what he was.

The only time I got peace, was when he was away, or in school..

"I'm coming." I groaned.

When I didn't hear a response from Imran, I assumed he had already left.

I got down from my bed and sluggishly walked out of the room, knowing fully well why I was being called.

I wished I could find a way out of it.

I went to Ummi's room first, and when I didn't find her there, I headed to the kitchen.

Ummi was blending some pepper and onions, when I walked in.

"Ummi, you called for me?"

Ummi turned off the blender and spun around; gazing intently at me. By the gaze alone, I could tell she wasn't in a good mood and that I had done something to annoy her..

"What are those used plates still doing in the sink?"

I sighed. I was supposed to have done the dishes few hours ago, but I got really angry with Ummi that it skipped my mind. Besides, I hated washing plates so much. It was not as if I would have done it willingly.

Often times, I pay Imran to do the dishes on my behalf..

"I was feeling fine." I responded, even though I knew she wasn't going to buy it. I wasn't really fine though. She ruined my mood.

"So?" She raised her brows. "Who do you expect to do the chore now?"

"Imran is back, Ummi." I was quick to respond. "He should do it."

"Don't you have any pity? That boy just got back from school. Ideally, good is supposed to have been ready, but because you're so lazy, it's delayed. At your age, am I supposed to even be stepping a foot into this kitchen? Ask yourself that question. Ponder over it and do better next time. You're not getting any younger. In few years now, you will get married. You need to sit up and stop lazing about."