14. Manal

Eid Mubarak to all of my brothers and sisters! This is my sallah gift to y'all. I'll be expecting mine as well 😋

Chapter 15 in few minutes ❤

Have you experienced the feeling that tags along with travelling to a foreign city, without either of your parents with you, for the very first time ever? That was exactly what I was feeling at the moment my parents dropped me off at the front of my hostel. Bile rose in my extremely dry throat. My hands became sweaty and trembled on their own accord. The incredibility of my nervousness was overwhelming. Was that even normal? I could not help, but wonder.

"Princess, we're here." Dad informed.

I did not realize I had been shedding tears, until I felt the warm liquid slide down my cheek and settled underneath my chin.

"Manal." Imran called, placing a gentle hand on my lap. "Why are you crying? You're just going to school. You're not dying."

"You must be sad. You won't have anyone to trouble anymore." I remarked. Troubling me seemed to be his forte. He had never gone a day without doing it.

"You're right." He sighed. "But more than that, I'm happy you're leaving. Abii and ummi's attentions will automatically shift to me alone. You will be forgotten." He smirked, then whispered in my ear. "Especially by Ummi. You know I'm her favorite."

He said it jokingly, but there was an atom of truth in it. I knew, but it did not bother me much, because he might be ummi's favorite, but I was abii's as well.

I ignored his remarks and alighted the car.

Abii and ummi also did and helped me in taking out my luggage.

"Be the good girl you've always been, okay?" Abii held my hand as he spoke.

"I told you, habibi, this is not a good idea. We should not have agreed to this. She's still a child. She doesn't know what's good for her yet."

"This isn't the time for regrets. We have agreed and that can't be changed now. We should only pray for the best. Manal wants this."

At abii's words, tears blurred my vision - he was right. I wanted that, but why did it feel like I was being forced?

"Manal." Ummi called, holding me by the shoulders and turning me to face her. "Don't forget the things we talked about. Make sure you cook on time, read your books, don't neglect your books and remember Allah whenever you're about to do anything wrong. When you feel sick, even a little, please go to the clinic. I will call you daily."

"Don't worry about me, Ummi. In sha Allah, I won't forget."

Ummi hugged me and when she pulled back, I could see the tears that pooled in her eyes, glistening. "May Allah protect you always."

At this point, I couldn't help myself from breaking down in front of her. I threw my arms around her and sobbed. "Ummi please don't leave me here."

"What are you saying? Don't you want to school here anymore?" Ummi questioned, disentangling my arms from around her.

"Princess, you're acting like a baby right now. I was confidently telling your mother you won't cry when we bring you here. Don't make her laugh at me when we get home."

Amidst tears, I chuckled and wiped away my tears, with the back of my palm. "I have stopped."

"That's more like my princess." He smiled and drew me into his embrace. "Don't neglect your obligatory prayers. Like Ummi said, when you feel sick, go the clinic immediately and don't you dare hide it from me. I will find out and come all the way here to scold you."