71: Jawaad

Don't forget to paint that star at the bottom orange ☺️

"Muhammad! Stop! Pullover!!" I hollered. We had just finished work for the day and were going over to his house.

Rattled, he jerked his hands off the wheel in alarm and the car lurched to the right side of the road, almost sideswiping a tricycle. "What has gotten over you? You almost got us into an accident."

"Look over there." I pointed to the white car parked a little distance away from us. "That's my car. The one that got stolen."

"What? Are you even sure of what you're saying?"

"I can't be wrong. I know that car like the back of my palm. Can you please reverse a little? I need to confirm something."

Muhammad reversed and at the angle, I could see the plate number. It was indeed mine.

"Look carefully." I pointed to the plate number. "That's my number. It hasn't been changed."

"If what you're saying is true? Then the thief must be dense. How can he steal a car and roam about freely without changing the plate number? Does that even make sense?"

"That's what I also don't understand." I voiced. It was strange. Strange.

"What are we going to do now? Should we go ahead and confront the driver or call the police instead?"

"Wait!" I stopped him right before he could open the car. "It seems no one is in the car."

"That means it's the perfect opportunity for us to confront him."

I sighed. "But what proof do we have that the car belongs to me? What if the thief sold it to this person?" I reasoned.

"You have a point," Muhammad remarked. "The question is; are we going let the thief getaway? What should we do."

"Hey! Look!" I nudged him. "Someone is unlocking the car."

"Do you think he might be the thief? He looks decent."

"Exactly. He looks decent." I responded. "But we cannot use that as a yardstick. Who knows? He might be the criminal. Let me take a picture."

Immediately I finished taking a picture of him, he opened the car and got him.

"He is getting away!" Muhammad shrieked. "Should we follow him?"

"Yes, but please do it in a manner that he won't realize he is being followed. Once we find out where he lives, it would be easy for us to get him."

"Trust me on this, dude."

Just as Muhammad was about to follow him, he ran into a motorcycle.

"Oh no!" He shrieked and alighted from the car.

I got down of the car.

Fortunately, the rider wasn't badly hurt, but he got a few bruises here and there.

"SubhanAllah!" Muhammad exclaimed. "I'm so sorry. I hope you aren't hurt."

"Can't you see?" The man winced in pain. "Of course I'm hurt. How could you drive so carelessly?"

"I'm sorry, I know it's my fault." Muhammad apologized again. "Let me take you to the hospital." He offered.

"We're so sorry." I chimed in. "We will take you to the hospital and have your wounds disinfected."

He nodded.

I put his motorcycle in the trunk and Muhammad helped him into the car.

We got to the hospital and the young man was taken to the emergency ward.