94: Manal

I left home for Farida's house very early. Her wedding was in two days. I still couldn't believe it. For some inexplicable reason, I was nervous. It seemed as though I was the one getting married. The anticipation, the fear, everything. Farida, on the other hand, didn't seem a tad nervous. Rather, she was excited. I couldn't blame her though. She was getting married to the love of her life.

Farida and I were seated on her bed when she brought up the topic of her henna ceremony which would take place the next day.

"You should better come very early tomorrow. The henna ceremony will begin immediately after fajr." Farida reminded.

I rolled my eyes. "There isn't even any program today and I came early. Don't worry, I will be here and you will probably still be in bed."

"I'm being serious, Manal." She frowned. "I need you to be here as early as possible." She sighed. "What am I even saying...sleepover, Manal. Please?"

Initially, I wanted to do that, but Ummi had made me promise to return home before nightfall. I didn't ask her what her reason was because I knew she'd just end up telling me she needed me at home to help her with the chores. "I wish I could, but Ummi won't allow it." I voiced.

"Isn't there something you can say to convince her to allow you to stay? Or should I speak to her myself?"

If Farida speaks to Ummi, I knew for a fact she was going to permit me to stay, but at the same time, she was going to feel offended, because she'd think I put her on the spot. "I will try asking her again."

"Please do. Ideally, you're supposed to have been sleeping over since a week ago, because you're my best lady." She sneered.

"I have practically been sleeping here." I pointed out.

"It's not enough. I'm not even so close to Zahra and Faiza but they're have been sleeping in this house since two days ago."

She had a point though. I couldn't even imagine getting married and not having my closest friends with me all the time. "I will go and talk to Ummi, then return."

"Alright. I will be waiting for you. If you like don't come back now." She remarked sarcastically.

I walked out of the house and to where my car was parked. I was about to get in when I remembered I hadn't even spoken to Jawaad for the whole day. He had pleaded with me to notify him when I'm at his house but it totally skipped my mind. "I hope he doesn't get upset," I mumbled and got into the car.

Immediately I brought out my phone from my bag to call him, his call came through.

"I was just about to call you," I informed.

"I'm sorry for not calling earlier. I had so many things to do, and right now, I'm on my way to Minna. I just called to inform you."

Bemused, I asked; "To Minna? What are you going to do there?" I was really worried for Jawaad because, for the past few days, he had been overworking himself. He was so invested in Farida's wedding preparations that we hardly had time to see each other or even speak on phone. I couldn't even get angry even if I wanted to because I knew he also didn't like the way things were going, but because his father was dead, his responsibility towards his family had increased. He wanted to make sure everything went well. I respected him for that. He had become much more responsible than he used to be. Farida was lucky to have an older brother who was so protective of her. Many times, I wished I had an older brother too. I just like the feeling of someone being overprotective of me. Even though I was thankful for having Imran, I wouldn't deny the fact that he was annoying most of the time.