75: Manal

I quickly clicked on the receive button and brought the phone to my ear.

"Assalamualaikum." Came his voice.

"Waalaykum Salam," I responded.

"How was the journey? I hope you arrived safely. I've been trying to reach you, but I couldn't get through."

"Alhamdulillah. I guess it was the network. Na'eem?" I called.

"Na'am." He responded.

"After the call earlier, have you spoken to your cousin, Imani?"

"No. Why did you ask?"

I remained silent. I had to come up with a reasonable excuse for him not to suspect me.

"Nothing really. I just asked because you seem so fond of her...I wanted to know if the two of you have communicated since then, you know..."

"No, we haven't."

"Hmm...okay. You mentioned that she lives in Abuja too, right?"

"Yes?" Na'eem sounded confused.

"It'd be nice if we were friends...I'd like to get to know her better." I continued.

"Why?"

"Obviously because she's my best friend's favorite cousin."

"Oh!"

"So...do you approve?"

"Why not?"

"Great! I need her contact. The one she used to call you earlier. I also need her home address..." Immediately the last sentence left my mouth, I realized how strange it sounded. "To pay her a surprise visit!" I rectified.

There was silence from Na'eem's side. It seemed he was contemplating on whether or not to give me the phone number and the address.

Is he suspicious?

"This is strange," I mumbled. I could barely hear him. "Why are you suddenly so interested in becoming friends with Imani?"

I rolled my eyes. "Are you giving me the number or not?"

"Of course, I will, but—"

"You know what?" I heaved a sigh. "Just leave it. I'm done."

"Ma—" I ended the call before he could finish calling my name.

I hissed. Na'eem had annoyed me with all of his questions. It seemed he didn't trust me.

But why would he even suspect me?

Could it be possible that they are working together?

I shook my head.

It is impossible.

Na'eem would never do anything illegal.

I trust him a lot.

Ever since I arrived, Farida had not uttered a word to me. She had been crying all through. Her eyes were red and puffy.

"Farida," I called, in the hopes of lifting her spirit a little, by the information I had.

Wordlessly, she turned to me.

"I..." My voice trailed. I wasn't sure if it was the right time to talk to her about Na'eem and Imani's relationship, but I wanted to be able to help in any way I could. "Do you know Na'eem?"

She glared at me.

I knew she must have been wondering why I would ask her about my friend when she was not in the mood to chitchat with anyone.