90: Manal

The day was sweltering, so I changed into lighter clothing—a pair of shorts and a crop top.

I plopped into my bed; a huge smile permanently plastered on my face. I was smiling so hard that my cheeks started to hurt.

Ummi had permitted Jawaad to officially court me. She had also invited his mum over to our house to have a chat with her. I was happy—extremely to have Ummi's blessings. It made everything so much easier for me. I wouldn't have to worry that I was making a mistake because Ummi was involved. Plus, Jawaad would not dare mess up again.

Jawaad and I hadn't had the chance to talk to each other since the conversation with Ummi, because he didn't stay. He thanked her and then left, without even saying goodbye to me. "It seems Jawaad is scared of Ummi." I chuckled. The nervousness on his face didn't go unnoticed by me. Though he did a good job at trying to maintain a poker face.

I picked up my phone from beside me and noticed Jawaad hadn't called or even left a message.

I frowned, disappointed.

"Should I call him?" I muttered underneath my breath. "No!" I shook my head. "He should be the one to make the first move." I huffed.

The phone was still in my hand, when it beeped, indicating I had an incoming call. A smile crept up my lips when I saw the caller ID.

I waited for a few seconds before answering the call.

"You looked beautiful this evening." That was the first thing he said.

I felt heat rush to my cheeks. I couldn't stop myself from smiling. I cleared my throat and hummed. "Is that so? If I remember correctly, you were looking down all the while. When did you get the chance to look at me? Huh? You were scared of my mother, weren't you?"

"I was." He admitted.

I chuckled at that.

"But it only lasted for a while. I actually like her. A lot. She's very protective of you."

"Yes, she is." I smiled, recalling how I used to feel she didn't care much about me, due to how strict she always was with me.

"Why didn't you tell me why she invited me over?" There was silence for a few minutes. "I'd have prepared."

My brows furrowed. "What sort of preparation?"

"I wasn't properly dressed for the occasion." He heaved a sigh. "I'd have put on a kaftan and cap since I was going to meet my mother-in-law-to-be. I wonder the kind of impression she has of me now."

Out of everything he said, the only thing that mattered and sent warmth to my heart was the mother-in-law part. It was still difficult for me to believe that Jawaad and I were going to get married. In the past, I had tried to get him to notice me, but being the arrogant man he was, he pretended not to see me. And when I finally decided to give up on him, he returned and showed interest in me. Despite being happy, a small part of me still doubted him. I just couldn't give him all of my trust yet. Indubitably, Jawaad still had a lot of proving to do.

"Ummi doesn't care about those things," I remarked. "It seems she likes you."

"I know she does." He chuckled. "Who wouldn't like me?"

Conceited much? Hehehe.

"I didn't like you." I sneered.