twelve

Walking through the corridor to the Great Hall, on my way to lunch, Ron brushes past me and Harry and glares as he does.

"Did you see Ron?!" I ask as I slump down in my seat.

"How can I miss him, when he's glaring at me around every corner!" Harry exclaims.

"I think you both are forgetting the imposing job at hand, figuring out the first task of the Triwizard Tournament. If there is any way that we can figure out what Harry's up against, he'll be in much less danger." Hermione says.

Just at that moment, Hedwig comes swooping in through the window. Harry unties the letter from her leg and rips it open. I see his eyes fly over the parchment.

"It's from Hagrid. He wants me to meet him at his cabin tonight. He says to wear my dad's cloak." We all glance at each other and silently agree that this is not a good idea.

-

-

That night after dinner, when Hermione, Harry, and I are curled up in armchairs by the fire, finishing our homework from the day, Harry tells us he'll be right back. As the last stragglers clumsily climb the stairs, Harry appears back down and has the Invisibility Cloak in hand. It looks like water, flowing over his hands, and we all nod at each other.

"You're really getting too tall for that thing," I whisper. Harry scoffs, and Hermione laughs and nods in agreement. "Also, tell Hagrid that you need to be back by 1:00. It's already midnight, and we need to know what he was wanting you for." 

Harry shrugs on the Invisibility Cloak and (literally) disappears through the portrait hole. As Hermione and I trudge up the staircase to our own dormitory, I admit I'm a little bit worried about Harry. She agrees and says that she is going to stay up reading and check her watch until 1:00. I tell her to wake me when it is. She pulls on her nightgown and nods. I rest my head on the pillow. My eyelids flutter closed, and I drift into dreamland. 

"ELIZA!" Hermione is shaking me up. She yells but in a whispering way. Her book is lying open on her bed, and I probably look insane, or just sleep-deprived. "I heard Harry come through the portrait hole. Let's go down!" I scramble my slippers on and rush down the stairs. Harry is nowhere to be seen, but by the sound of an armchair groaning, I can tell he's still under the cloak. 

"Harry, it'd be easier to talk to you if we can actually see you," I rub my eyes, and Harry takes off the Invisibility Cloak. 

"Sorry," he says apologetically.

"So?" Hermione has her now it's time to interrogate him look on. 

Harry takes a deep breath "Dragons," is all he says. "I'll tell you guys more in the morning, I'm too tired right now."

Hermione tries to squeeze more out of him, but he's fighting her like I never could. Hermione's a beast when it comes to information, especially because Hagrid was super mysterious in his letter. Hermione 'humph's when Harry finally escapes her grip and closes his dormitory door. She turns over in her four-poster bed and shuts the curtains. 

-

-

Over bacon, eggs, and toast, Harry explains to us what Hagrid said last night. 

"I told you last night, dragons. Hagrid showed me into the Forbidden Forest to a clearing with dragons."

"But why?" I ask. 

"He said it's the first task," Harry's voice is so low and quiet that we barely hear him. Hermione and I exchange glances and look at Harry. "I swear you speak through your eyebrows to each other sometimes." Hermione and I giggle and look at Harry. 

"We need to find out a way to get past it though if that's what you are really up against." Hermione points out. 

"That's true," I agree, and immediately know what Hermione's thinking. "The library." We stand up and rush through the corridors towards the library. When we arrive, we look back to see Harry panting and practically gasping for air. We all laugh and peruse through the shelves, which are piled high with books from potions to water plants. 

"We can do this later, now we have to get to class." Harry throws his arms up in protest of Hermione's words. 

"Yeah, easy for you to say! We have Muggle Studies on the whole other side of the castle! Ancient Runes is just down the hall." Harry exclaims. Hermione laughs and disappears into a classroom a couple of doors down. "Ugh, that one," Harry scoffs as we board the moving staircases. 

-

-

After dinner, that night, Harry, Hermione, and I arrive at the Library, and there's a perfect amount of people where we can research without being noticed by the other students. We glimpse Ron and Dean doing homework in between shelves, and Hermione peels off to talk to them. I open my mouth to say something to Harry, but he sits down in a chair and takes a book off of a shelf. 

It's awkward for a couple of minutes, in which the only noise is the voices of other students and the rustling of book pages. Hermione turns the corner, and her face looks like a tomato. 

"i just do not understand him! He says he's mad, but-"

"Can we just research please?" This is obviously a sensitive topic for Harry, so I'm glad he cuts her short. Hermione nods and starts browsing shelves. 

"I think what we need to look for is a spell that Harry can use to fight the dragon, " I whisper the word 'dragon' so that nobody can overhear us. Hermione and Harry both nod, and agree that we should split up through this section of the library and look for spells and hexes Harry can use in the first task. 

After about half an hour or so of searching, we all meet back where we started, Harry and I both empty-handed and not surprised to see that Hermione has a stack of books levitating beside her.  She notices us looking at her, and says, "Oh! Can you guys help me look through these?" This time it's Harry and I who exchange looks. We slump down in our chairs and open a book each, as Hermione does the same.-

-

-

-

-

-

-

 Thanks, guys for almost 600 views! I love you all and also I updated my bio so if you wanna check that out, that would be cool! I will be posting three times this week so PLEASE STAY TUNED (and flexible) because I may change up my schedule based on what I have going on this week, but right now the plan is to post on Wednesday and Saturday as well this week.

Thanks, lovelies,

--truffles_7 ❤️