eight

The next day, when we wake up, we groggily travel down the many moving staircases to the Great Hall. At the high table, Dumbledore rises when he sees people entering. Many people are already here, and it feels like we're late for something. I notice Ron and Harry at the Gryffindor table, and Hermione and I sit down. A couple of minutes, the last drags of students enter the Great Hall, and Dumbledore slowly walks over to his podium.

"I have an announcement to make." We all look at each other. Ginny told me a couple of weeks ago that Percy was going on about some "top-secret" information that was only to be discussed within the confines of Ministry of Magic officials. I exchange glances with Harry, who shrugs.

"This year at Hogwarts, it will be a little different. We will have visitors from Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang." Ron looks at me and I put my face in my hands.

"The Triwizard Tournament was first established seven hundred years ago as a competition between the three largest European schools of wizardry: Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang. A student, who was referred to as the champion, was selected to represent each school, and the three champions competed in three magical tasks. The schools took it in turns to host the tournament once every five years, and it was thought to be the best way of establishing relationships between witches and wizards of different nationalities — until, that is, the death toll mounted so high that the tournament was discontinued." Dumbledore looks amongst the crowd. Many whispers travel around the hall, and gasps are exchanged. I glance at Hermione.

"But not just anyone can compete. Only students 17 years of age are permitted to enter. In this very room, will be placed a stone goblet. Students of age will write their name on a piece of paper, and enter it into the Goblet of Fire." Even more, whispers start filling the room at this.
-
-
When we all re-enter the common room, rumors start floating about, and 7th-years are surrounded by other students, urging them to enter. If I were one of them, I would have flopped on my bed by now. As I think about doing just that, Lavender Brown bursts into the common room. What is with this girl? She's practically bawling her eyes out.

"She's upset 'cause her crush is in 7th year," Ron whispers in my ear. I jump, then turn around and try to hide my chuckles. The whole common room stares at her, and she grabs her friend Parvati, who looks petrified and just pats her on the back. We hear laughing all around the room, and I start to feel bad for her. For a moment, I think about going over to her and comforting her, as she is in my dormitory, but then I remember the fact that she really hasn't been nice to me at all.

Hermione rolls her eyes and drags me up the stairs. We change our clothes and agree that we should go to bed early.

"What are your thoughts on it?" Hermione mutters.

"On what?"

"The Triwizard Tournament," she shrugs and goes back to rummaging in her trunk.

"I don't know," I reply.

We climb into our beds, and Hermione opens her drawer on her side table and pulls out a big book. "Wanna have a reading party?" She asks. I giggle, nod, and pull my Charms textbook out of my own drawer. We sit reading until our eyelids droop over our eyes.
-
-
"Wake up!" Hermione is gently shaking me awake.

"What is it?" I say groggily. I notice that everyone is up.

"We've been trying to wake you for the past ten minutes!" I see Parvati mouth something to Lavender that looks like won't she hurry up!?

"What's wrong?" I ask, sitting up. It dawns on me that something might be wrong. I rush around and pull on my robes.

"Nothings wrong, Eliza, we were just having a conversation," Fay says from her bed.

"Yeah, we were all just about to go in a circle saying-" Lavender starts, but I cut her off.

"Wait, how long have you guys been up? Did something happen without me!? I swear if..." Hermione looks at me and nods at Lavender.

"We were about to all say our crushes," her cheeks turn pink. I roll my eyes, and flop on my bed. They all protest and prop me back up on my pillows. I tell them I just wanna sleep, but they wave me off. I remind them that tomorrow is the first day of lessons for the year, but not even Hermione gives any attention to my comment.