twenty

That evening, hours later, we ventured down from the common room to dinner. I wrap my arm around Harry and he pulls me in. We match our strides and arrive in the Great Hall to Dumbledore preparing to stand up. We quickly sit down. Dumbledore strokes his beard for a moment, quieting the students in the hall down. 

"Now, I know that you all have been expectantly awaiting the Christmas holiday," He looked about the crowd gathered in the hall. "Hogwarts and guests alike are all welcomed to join me and my fellow professors and staff members in the celebrating of the Triwizard Tournament." 

A murmuring was spread through the hall. Had we not already celebrated enough? 

"This will not be just any celebration. In honor of this extraordinary event we are gladly hosting this year, Hogwarts will also be hosting the Yule Ball!"

At the mention of the word "Ball", there was an uprising of whispers. Ginny leaned over to me and muttered, "A ball? This oughta be fun!" I nodded but quickly snapped my head back up to Dumbledore, eager for more information on this ball. Dumbledore straightened his wizard's hat as he sat down, Professor McGonnagal stepping up to the pedestal to look out over the students and guests. 

"Thank you, Headmaster." McGonagall nodded at Dumbledore, sitting and smiling in his seat. "Dress robes will be worn, and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall. This ball is a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth years and above — although you may invite a younger student if you wish."

As Professor McGonnagal stepped down from the post, I turned to Ginny to see an annoyed look on her face. Hermione left out a giggle from beside me and stretched out her hand to pat Ginny's. Ginny rolls her eyes and turns back to me. 

"You'll be ok," I reassure her.

"Yeah, but will you be ok without me?" Ginny looks at me. 

"Uh-"

"Of course she will!" Hermione interrupts me. "She'll have me! Are you doubting my ability to have a good time?"

We all laugh. "No pfft..." Ginny replies. As we leave the Great Hall, Professor McGonagall is informing students of extra details about the ball. 

"Students, know that tomorrow, Saturday, we will all meet back in here for a mandatory meeting. ALL STUDENTS!" I nod at the Professor and she smiles and waves at us. 

-

-

The next morning, I wake up early and get dressed quickly. I shake Hermione awake. The roles are switched, and now she's the one groggily stumbling into a sweater and blundering down the stairs. I pull her into the Great Hall and we grab some toast. When we arrive, we notice that the normal meal tables are all pushed aside, against the walls of the hall. There are only a few students lingering, chatting with their friends about their plans for the day. 

When Hermione and I return back to the common room, there are a few more people up, some dressed, some still in their pajamas. I see Ginny, and she still looks as moody as from the night before. She's still mad about the Yule Ball. 

"You'll be alright! You have Luna and all your other friends to hang out with!" 

"Other friends? What other friends? All of my 'other friends' are in your year or above!" She gives us a pouty face and I return the expression.

"You never know, one of them might ask you out," Hermione chimes in, getting the idea of cheering her up.

"Really? Do you think someone older would ask me? Me? 'Oh ya, Cedric asked me to the dance', like that's  ever going to happen!"