thirty-four

On the morning of the 23rd of February, I woke with a start. I realize just then that Hermione is shaking me awake.

"Eliza! Wake up, I've been shaking you for 5 minutes!" She lets out an angry noise and releases me. "It's 9:15!" That gets me up. I throw the covers off. I pull on my Gryffindor sweater and stumble down the stairs and into the crowd of students filing out of the common room just in time for their second classes to start. I shrug the cloak draped over my arm onto my shoulders, and straighten the rest of my uniform. I brush off my skirt and relocate Harry, Ron, and Hermione waiting outside the common room.  Once we all reconvene, we join the flood of students on their way to classes.

Once we get to Potions, we're all out of breath. We drop our bags down on the floor and sit down. Ron is finishing munching on the last of his toast and wiping his hands on his uniform. I situate myself in my chair, while Hermione and Harry are talking in hushed voices about the second task. I suddenly realize that the task is tomorrow. I need to check in with Cedric before the task, but today is jam-packed with classes. I try to formulate a plan in my head to see him at lunchtime. Right as I'm beginning to talk to Hermione, Snape stands in front of the class and everyone quiets down. Harry and Ron quietly groan and slump down in their seats as Hermione rolls her eyes and the class starts.

-

-

-

Coming out of the Charm classroom, I say bye to Harry, Ron, and Hermione, and make a beeline for the Great Hall. I catch Cedric just outside the Great Hall talking to his friends. He says bye to them, pulls me off to the side and gives me a long hug. 

"What's up?"

I smile at him. "Just wanted to wish you luck at the task, because my day is pretty packed the rest of the day."

He smiles at me and gives me a small kiss. "I'll see you there," he winks and we laugh. I give him one more hug, and he catches up with his friends. 

Hermione, Harry, and Ron catch up with me a few minutes later. Harry is walking in front of Ron and Hermione, who are arguing about something. I smile at Harry and we head over to the Gryffindor table. 

-

-

While Professor McGonnagal was teaching, and we were all sitting in Transfiguration, there was a knock at the door. McGonnagal stops her lesson and moves out from behind her desk. When she opened the door, Dumbledore peaks his head in. 

"If I could collect Eliza Martin, Hermione Granger, and Ron Weasley please?"

I shoot a look at Ron and Hermione before I look at Harry. He has a puzzled look on his face, just like the rest of the class.

"Well, hurry up now," McGonnagal motions for us to stand. We hurry to pick up our books and gather our bags. I almost trip over Neville's shoe trying to get out of the classroom. Hermione, Ron, and I file out of the classroom to follow Dumbledore. 

"Hello," Dumbledore says as he leads us down the corridor and towards the moving staircases. Dumbledore leads us onto the stairs and motions for us to start climbing. After Dumbledore navigates us across a few more staircases, we land on the 7th floor. Hermione shoots me a look. 

"What?" I whisper to her. 

"Dumbledore's office is on this floor."  I swing my head around to look at her and I look around at everyone with us. Dumbledore leads us down the hall, and as we get closer to his office, the dregs of conversations wear down and silence consumes the hall. The only sound is the sound of shoes on the floor.