two

My eyes follow people on the street as we enter London. We live in the countryside, near a few other families. Just down the dirt road, lives the Weasleys, and upon the hill are the Lovegoods. A little farther are the Diggory family. Amos, Mrs. Diggory (who isn't around a whole lot), and their son, Cedric. All the Weasleys and Cedric go to Hogwarts. Luna has talked about coming in the next few years, and I always feel left out of the conversation, especially because one of my best friends, Ginny, has been there since her first year when she was eleven. She's a year younger than me, and so is Luna, but they're all I really have to hang out with, except Ron, who is in my year, and the twins, I guess.

"Ready?" Dad asks as he powers off the car engine.

"Yup!" I grab my bag of Galleons and stick it in my sweater, which is thrown over my arm, just in case the wind picks up.

London looks like it's normal grey and groggy because it rained last night. But I know that once we enter Diagon Alley, it will brighten up. The magical world makes everything better, and more colorful at that. While we are there, we have planned to meet up with the Weasleys at the Leaky Cauldron. From there, we will split up: Ron, Ginny, and I, Myra (who says she needs some last-minute stuff), and the twins, and the parents will meander through shops and streets. I can't wait to tell Ron and Ginny all about my letter. They'll be so excited!

Myra gives me a reassuring look, and we enter The Leaky Cauldron. We immediately spot the Weasleys, as their hard to miss with their fiery red hair. We rush over to them and hug them. The last time we saw them was at the Quidditch World Cup, and that was some time ago.

"Oh, Elizabeth! I can't wait for you to go! You will have so much fun." Mrs. Weasley embraces me. And that's when I notice the odd head out. In a corner of the pub near us sits a boy with untidy black hair and glasses. Harry Potter.

Ron notices me staring. "Oh! She hasn't met Harry! Eliza, Harry. Harry, Eliza."

I nod at him and he reaches out to shake my hand. I awkwardly take it and start to blush a little. I hope neither of them notices, although I'm sure they do. Ginny, thankfully, taps my shoulder, turns me around, and pulls me into a hug. Thanks, I mouth. Ginny nods and pulls me back over to everyone else.

"Everyone ready?" My dad asks as he adjusts his belt. He always tries to put on a good face for Mr. Weasley, because they both work at the ministry.

Mum rolls her eyes. "I think so, yes,"

As we approach the brick wall that serves as the opening to Diagon Alley, Dad pulls his wand out. He taps gently on the brick five times, and the opening reveals itself. Just one glance tells me this is the most beautiful place I've ever been to.

"Just wait till you see Hogwarts..." someone whispers in my ear.  I whirl around to face Fred. I punch him softly in the shoulder and roll my eyes as I turn back around. I follow Mum through the opening and take in my surroundings.

Shops big and small alike line the streets, with enticing displays and crowds inside and out. We walk forwards toward a towering marble building. Gringott's Wizarding Bank. Dad makes a quick stop inside, and we move on. We split up once we turn a corner.

"Ok! Be safe, ok?" Mum squeezes me.

"It's not like I'm gonna be gone forever, Mum!" Myra and I exchange a look as Mum squeezes her. Dad laughs and Ginny, Ron, and I start turning a corner. 

After passing a few shops, we reach Flourish and Blotts, and I go to take my book list out of my pocket when I realize that it's not there. 

"Ugh! I forgot my list," I say, shaking my head.

"Oh, I have mine. We're in the same year, remember?" Ron laughs.

"Oh yeah!" He pulls a piece of parchment out of his pocket and we enter the bookshop. 

As we step over the threshold, and I suddenly find myself surrounded by books. This. Is. My. Paradise! I love reading, learning, and now this shop. Colorful spines and covers mask the walls. I can just make out a small stairway, as it is hidden by stacks of books. Caught up in the scene, I forget what I'm here to do until Ginny accidentally shoves me onto a shelf.

"Oh, sorry!" I spot Ron with an armful of books near a tall stack. I rush over. 

"Sorry. Do you need a hand?" Ron nods, and I recover some books from him. I take out my money bag and pay for my books and some of Ron's. I always feel bad about how privileged I am compared to the Weasleys. And it's always been an unsaid thing between our families that sometimes we have to pay for their things, and we don't care at all. 

When we exit the bookshop, Ginny got everything she needed as well. Next, I head over to Madam Malkins to get some robes fitted and bought. 

After a few hours, we met up with everyone once again and got some lunch. Right as we were leaving, I realized:

"Oh my gosh! I forgot to get a pet!"

Myra gasped and shook her head. "Well we can't have that can we?" I rolled my eyes and turned to my parents. They nodded, and Ginny and I rushed off down the street.