twenty-five

The snow has mostly retreated, and the sun has started to shine once again after the Christmas holiday. Harry and I are friends again, and I hang out with him, Hermione, and Ron in Hogsmeade on weekends. My life is back to normal, no more drama. But, as always, I see Cedric, and never stop thinking about him. 

-

-

Three days after I made up with Harry, I was walking to Charms, and Cedric waved to me in the corridor. I smile and wave at him, and his friends elbow him. He doesn't see, but I notice his cheeks flush red right as I enter the classroom. I rush into the room and whisper to Hermione.

A few days later, I catch Cedric's eye in the Great Hall. He blinks, and I look away. I shake my head. I look back at him. He's still staring at me. We lock eyes again, and I smile. He smiles back. I feel my cheeks redden. I look away quickly. When I exit the Great Hall, I look back. Apparently, he can feel my eyes through the back of his head because he turns around. I look away again.

On New Year's Eve, a Saturday, Harry took me, Ron, and Hermione to a party organized by the Hufflepuffs. Of course, everyone was mad that the Hufflepuffs organized it. They never let anyone have too much to drink, etc. But, everyone, even the Slytherins, couldn't turn down a party. In the common room, there were at least 40 people from each house crowding in just the front common area. We pushed through the crowd to reach the tables, with heaps of food, and the Hufflepuff prefects ready to pour your drink. We get drinks, then continue sidling our way through the crowd until we reach a fairly empty corner of the room. We sit down on a few armchairs, then notice the other people in this corner. Draco sneers at us from his chair. His dumb cronies, Crabbe, and Goyle are also pulling rude faces. We ignore him and continue our conversation.

"So. Potter," Draco's deep drawl pierces our ears. 

"What do you want, Malfoy?" Harry rolls his eyes.

"Did I see you in the library earlier?"

"Um, maybe. I've been there a few times lately."

"Oh, Potter. I've noticed you've been there a lot. Are you struggling in class?"

"No? I was just studying for our exam."

"Well, you still need to study. Poor, stupid  Potter." Draco enunciates the word stupid. I can see Harry is hurt, but he won't let Draco know that.

"Oh! So, just because my parents don't pay for me to get good grades doesn't mean I'm stupid." Harry starts to raise his voice a hair. Here we go.

Draco stands up. "Oh, well. At least I have parents. Poor precious Potter doesn't even have a family." Now Draco's done it. 

Harry quickly gets to his feet. "Do NOT talk about my family like that!"

"Even you don't like your own family." Draco smoothly stands up.

"Just shut up Malfoy," Harry's raising his voice now. 

"It's not my fault your life is dreadful, now is it?" Malfoy takes a step forward. Harry's face gets even redder with anger. "Go on. Fight me. Do it."

"Make me," Harry rolls his eyes. 

"Is it possible to break this up?" I lean over to Ron.

"They're in too deep now..."

Harry and Draco are getting closer to each other now.

"Are you sure you want to challenge me?" Draco sneers and leans to look over Harry's shoulder. "Aw, even if you did, that mudblood Granger and her admirer Weasley," Harry acts unphased. "Not to even mention Martin-"