thirty-two

"So... mermaids?" Ron gives Harry and me a puzzled look. 

"Correction, merpeople," Hermione adds.

"Yeah, so what I've gathered is that the merpeople are going to take something special from me, and I have an hour to save it,"

"What do you think they'll steal?" The last conversation I had with Harry was last night at midnight, so we didn't go very in-depth with what this meant.

"Probably something important to me," Harry replies.

After a moment, I realize something. "Or someone," I say. Harry looks around at Ron, Hermione, and me. When I came here, I never thought I would make very many friends. I didn't have too many friends at Beauxbatons, and I thought it would be the same at Hogwarts. I never imagined having friends like these three amazing people sitting with me right now. If I was one of the champions, it would've been one of them down there for me. Now, you might be wondering, what about Cedric? Well, it would be hard to decide between who's more special to me. Cedric, I almost love him (but of course I can't tell him that at this stage), but my friends? They were the most welcoming people at this school and accepted me into their group from the first day I met them. I'm snapped out of my thoughts by Hermione's voice.

"E?"

"Yeah, sorry, I was just thinking," I smile at the three of them, and we continue on our conversation, and theorize about the egg clue. 

"If they steal a person, they would probably steal one of you," Harry looks around at us. "Probably Ron or Hermione, because Eliza will probably be Cedric's," We all nod in agreement.

"I think it'll be Ron. You've been friends with him forever," Hermione adds. She turns towards me and beckons me to come closer so she can whisper in my ear. "Besides, I've been getting closer to Krum, so I'm speculating about who the merpeople are gonna steal for him," I gasp and laugh quietly. Predictably, Ron and Harry were trying to listen to our conversation. When I pull back they try to pretend they weren't staring, looking at each other, and finding nonexistent specks of dust on the wood table. Hermione and I fall into further fits of laughter. 

-

-

-

Later, I find Cedric walking about the grounds. I sneak up behind him and jump on his back. He whips around, then laughs, recognizing my voice in his ear. "Hi,"

"Hi," He replies, pulling me tighter around his shoulders. "Did you check your calendar?"

"Yes, I did. Unfortunately, I'm all booked up. Another Potions essay, more readings for Defense Against the Dark Arts, and helping Harry with the clue. Again." I hop down and take note of Cedric's frown, which doesn't fit his usually smiley mouth. "Sorry," I hug him and he holds me for a second. For a moment I think he's going to walk away like earlier, but he pulls back.

"It's okay. I understand. It'll give me more time to study for exams soon anyway," he gives me a quick kiss before we part ways. I head to the library, pull out my parchment, quill, and potions notes and get to work on my essay. 

-

-

-

I return to the common room late from the library, with a finished potions essay and four pages of new notes for Transfiguration from the big book McGonagall gave us to study. Hermione isn't at Gryffindor Tower yet, and Ron and Harry (at least Ron) are asleep by now. I change into pajamas and read for a few hours when Hermione finally comes back. 

"Where were you!?" I ask.

"In the library," she replies.

"No, you weren't. You said you weren't gonna go to the library today, and I would've seen you anyway. I was sitting there all afternoon."

"Fine. But don't tell anyone. Especially Ron," 

I prop up my pillows and pat the spot next to me on my bed so Hermione can sit. She lowers her voice and gets closer. 

"So, you know how Viktor brought me to the Yule Ball?"

"Yes..." 

"We kissed." 

I have to suppress a gasp, then a squeal, then a laugh. "What!?"

"He caught me in the hall on the way here, just pulled me to him and kissed me. Like it was nothing. Not to mention I've never been kissed before, and I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing, and I think I have major feelings for him and I don't want to-"

I pull Hermione into my arms and she quiets. 

"Don't worry about it. Vikor likes you, and that's what matters. If he likes you and cares about you, he won't care that your not experienced. He likes you just as you are."

"Thanks, E. I really needed to hear that," Hermione wipes her eyes, which got a little teary during our hug. "But, on the contrary," she straightens up.

"He kissed you!"

"I know!!" She 

"Oh my gosh. I'm still in shock," We fall into laughter. 

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

sorry, this took me so long! It's also short, but the next chapter should be exciting!!! i hope you enjoyed that little tidbit of tea at the end as well. thx for being patient with me, ily all <3