twenty-nine

Cedric and I are walking hand-in-hand into Hogsmeade with one of Cedric's Hufflepuff friends, Gabriel, and his girlfriend, Hannah. He introduces me, and the four of us walk into the Leaky Cauldron. We all sit down and order warm butterbeer. It's a cold January morning, so I have to take off my coat and put it on the back of the chair Cedric pulled out for me. I give him a small hand squeeze and scoot my chair in. Our butterbeer comes, and we all stop the conversation to silently sip and enjoy the warm, buttery goodness. We all sigh, and when Cedric pulls the mug away from his mouth, he has a butterbeer mustache. I wipe above his lips, and he leans in to whisper something. 

"My little maid," He laughs, and I give him a pretend-angry look. I shove his head away with a laugh. "You know you love it." I shake my head and roll my eyes. 

"Love what?" Hannah asks. 

"Oh, just that I call he-" I cover Cedric's mouth before he can say anything.

"Nothing. I love nothing about Cedric," I say, laughing. We're a chill group, so they know it's a joke. 

A little while later, we finish up our butterbeer and exit the Leaky Cauldron. I look down to find Cedric's hand and slip my gloved hand into his. I look up, and he looks down at me. He pulls me closer, and I lay my head on his chest. 

"Hey," he says, after a moment, and I look back up. 

"Yeah?"

"I was wondering since we don't get to see each other during the day all that often if you would want to go on a study date with me." I comb through my schedule in my head and nod. "Good. It would just be in the library." I nod again.

"There's only a slight problem," I say, and give him a concerned look. "How are we gonna focus on studying?" I laugh, and his expression changes from worried back to his usual relaxed.  

"What if we sit at separate tables?" He suggests.

"You know, now that I think about it more, I think it won't be that big of a problem..." We laugh, and he moves behind me to put his arms around me and rest his chin on my head. I put my hands on his arms. I rest them where his elbows bend, nestled between muscles. I jokingly squeeze his arms. "Wow," I say, and he laughs. I love that sound.

-

-

-

Sunday, the next day, I sit with Hermione on the armchairs by the fire. The fire is roaring, and surrounding us is the sound of a few Gryffindors studying and working away. Only a few other people are in here, the others in Hogsmeade, not worrying about revision and exams. I finished studying for my potions exam early, with the help of Hermione. She always insists I do the majority of my memorization days before the exam and leave light studying for the days up until my exam. I look past everyone else in the Common Room to find Harry and Ron. Ron has his head on the table, and Harry's glasses are askew, his hair mussed up. He gives me a look and rolls his eyes. I stick out my tongue and hold up my book, rubbing in his face that I'm reading for pleasure, while he's studying for the exam. 

"Hermione, don't you think they might want some help?" I look over at them, Harry's attention turned back to Ron and the potions book in front of him. Hermione doesn't even look up from her reading. 

"It's their fault for leaving it to the last minute!" I slump in my chair.

"It's Sunday. The exams are on Wednesday. I didn't finish until late last night!"

"That's the difference. Studying early was your idea-"

"You helped!" I interrupt.

She gives me an annoyed look. "They're only studying early because you told them to." That's an exaggeration.