twenty-seven

"You guys kissed!?" Hermione tackles me onto my bed.

Lavender's head pokes out of the bathroom. "What did I just hear?" 

Parvati runs out of the bathroom door, with a makeup brush in hand. "Did Eliza get kissed?"

Lavender runs out after her, dropping everything to come to sit at the foot of my bed. "Now you have  to tell me who he is!"

After a while of chaos, guessing, and giggling, I finally let up. "Ugh fine," Parvati shushes Lavender. They both look at me with wide eyes, awaiting my confession. Hermione rolls her eyes.

"It's not that big of a deal, you kno-" Hermione gets cut off by Parvati and Lavender shushing her. We all laugh, and I finally pluck up enough courage to admit.

"It's Cedric." Lavender and Parvati both squeal. "Shhh, someone's gonna hear you!" I laugh, knowing full well no one can hear us. 

"Cedric Diggory? I can't believe it! How did you pull him," Lavender wonders aloud.

"Hey!" I say, mock offended. She covers her mouth and we all laugh again, falling back on my bed. As much as I complain about Lavender and Parvati, I couldn't ask for better roomies.

-

-

-

-

The next day, Sunday, I wake up late but wake up Hermione so we can go down to the Great Hall. Usually, there's no post on Sundays, but a few owls fly in and out of the Hall, carrying messages for students. We see the Viktor Krum, and I look over at Hermione.

"How's it going with him, then?" I ask, watching pink creeping up her cheeks.

"I mean, it's good. He doesn't look it, but he's shy and nice. We like to meet up in the library on Wednesdays-"

"On your free period," I finish. She smiles at me and looks at her bacon, suddenly more interested in it than this conversation. After a few minutes of silence, I see a familiar owl swooping through the windows. Cedric took me up to the Owlery after we went to Hogsmeade, so I would recognize his owl if he ever sent me something. I pet the owl as it lands, and I gently untie the small envelope from his tiny leg. I notice Cedric's loopy cursive, spelling out my name. I tear it open. Hermione looks over my shoulder.

E, 

me writing this letter is reminding me of old (ish) times, you? anyway, I was wondering if maybe you would want to meet me at the Quidditch Pitch this afternoon? hope to see you there.

please say yes,

Cedric

"Eliza, he likes you. So. Much." Hermione whispers.

I look over at her. "But we were going to hang out with Harry and Ron this afternoon,"

"I'll handle that. Trust me," Hermione takes my hands. "Go."

-

-

-

A few hours later, I've pulled on a thick sweater and hurried out the door. When I step foot outside the castle, my teeth begin to chatter, and I pull my sleeves down over my hands. I walk in silence for a moment, then look around the Quidditch Pitch. I spot Cedric walking across the lawn from the other end, and I hurry over to him. He shifts a bag from his right hand to his left and pulls my waist to his. 

"Well hello there," he rubs my back.

"Hi," I stand on my tiptoes to plant a light kiss on his lips, and he smiles. I blush, and he takes his hand to mine and leads me up the stands to a row right in the middle. I sit down, and a familiar view greets me.