19

"Can we talk?"

I looked up from the screen I was scrolling through for what appeared to be four long hours, I needed to get my mind off of the McCann brothers, someway, somehow. I started doing my own research into my parents' deaths but found nothing, the search started to seem endless and just like before I was getting nowhere with Jason McCann, everything seemed endless. As for the gang, it was hard to tell who was on my side and who wasn't, the boys were all loyal to their fearless leader who had no problem of killing anyone that came in his way, it was about the money, it was always about the money.

"I know you don't want anything to do with me" he sighed

Alex McCann was the last person I expected to be sitting across from in the prison I now lived in, I didn't want to face him yet alone engage in conversation or whatever this was. What kind of statement was that? Why would I want anything to do with him? after what he did to me.

"I don't blame you" he continued. "I wouldn't want anything to do with me either". I said nothing. "Hails" he spoke in a soft tone trying to get my attention but I was giving him none. The nickname 'Hails' when he called it made a sudden churn in my stomach, I no longer wanted to hear the word spoken from a McCann. I made no sudden movement that is until with a sudden force from his hand, my laptop was shut close, I looked down at his hand only to see his veins popping and hear his heavy breathing. Was he angry? Why would he be? The room was silent and so was the air. There was nothing standing in the way of me telling Alex McCann what I wanted to ever since the breakup. I had no choice but to look at him and when I did our eyes met as I searched his twinkling hazel eyes for some sort of hope. My stomach has did the sudden churn once more. His hair was ruffled, his clothes soiled with dirt. God knows what Jason had the gang doing this time.

"What do you want?"

"I want to apologize" his tone was soft as he removed his hand from the laptop and maneuvered it over to the bed sheet. I want to apologize for hurting you in the way I did, Hails you have to believe me it wasn't my intention" he paused wetting his lips "Jason..."

Here we go again. Jason McCann. Satan's spawn. The devil's advocate. It's always Jason McCann. If I had known better I would have chased him out the second he sat down. I shouldn't expect any different, there he goes again blaming his brother for what he did, him not Jason. God I hate the guy so much. I wish Alex saw in himself that he is no different from him, sure in some ways but they're blood, family over everything.

I shifted on the bed expecting him to say more but he doesn't, instead he sits on the edge expecting me to yell all sorts of profanity in his face but I don't, I stop myself. I'm the bigger person.

I moved the laptop from between us, his eyes traced my movements and then landed directly back on mine. "Blame Jason why don't you" I peered at him "It's always Jason Jason Jason isn't it" he said nothing "I am so sick and tired of you McCanns"

"You McCanns?" he questioned. "Did I stutter" I retorted back at him.

Alex was taken aback by my commentary towards him just as I had hoped. "I don't care how much you run from it, how much you hide from it but face it Alex, you're just like your twisted, sick, unstable, helpless, murder killing, abusive brother"

......

After Hailey's refusal to do one of Jason's jobs, one of our guys had to get it done or we would all face his wrath, everyone hates when he's angry, he turns into a monster. I was more worried about Hailey than anything else. When she turned down Jason's demand, I feared that he would get abusive towards her so I stopped him before he could get to her. I knew she needed time away from me, from the breakup but it wasn't until hours after that no one had last seen her since the garage incident so I decided to check up on her, maybe at least then I would finally get to come face to face with her and give her an explanation, one that she would accept, turns out I was wrong.