3

Soundtrack: Justin Bieber- Common Denominator

Out of all the things in life that I could fear, the only thing that would hurt me is if you weren't here

*Flashback*

"BLAKE NOOO" I screamed through water-filled eyes has his body thumped to the hard concrete ground

"Hailey we have to go"

"Dude are you coming or what?"

Jason looked at his gang member and then back at me

"Hailey he's dead"

*Present Day*

It was Tuesday morning and the memory of that dreaded night filled my mind. The night of Blake's death. So who is Blake exactly?

Blake was one of Jason's six members narrowing it down to five. He was also a very close friend of mine, one that I cherished, he was one of my friends that the LAPD took away from me.

You're probably also wondering how I know Jason McCann. It all started after my parents death. At the time, my life started going downhill and so was Hannah's. "Live a little" her close friend Samantha short for 'Sam' would say but Hannah ignored her comment. The two remained genuinely close as years went by. I on the other hand became isolated to others and the world around me so I turned to drugs and became overly addicted. My sister eventually got her life back on track but I didn't know how to cope, how to deal with death.

That's when Jason came along, I was smoking in an alley downtown just shortly after midnight at the age of 15. Down the block could be heard the shouting of a boy, the age of 16. Following him were six more boys roughly the same age. As they neared closer the one street light nearby dimmed and made it visible for all to be seen, the shouting seized and whistles began. The leader, who was no more than 5'8 with blonde highlights and brown hazel eyes observed me and immediately took interest. He introduced the other boys: Ryan, Chaz, Khalil, Kaden, Chris and lastly Blake. I had no idea that in meeting these boys would change my life for the worse.

As Tuesday afternoon came my mind wondered to Detective Rob. Should I tell him about Jason? I couldn't, the LAPD had nothing on him, it was Blake they killed after all and knew nothing of the rest of us. They didn't even know about me and who I really was......

My phone pinged, I had received an incoming message from an unknown person, this didn't really surprise me considering that Jason had called earlier but I was taken by the disturbing message that read

Unknown

I'm not going down without a fight. You want answers, you want the truth then come to 64 Plainville Avenue- the parking lot at 11pm. Come alone.

In reading the message my stomach began doing somersaults. I knew I wasn't ready to face him after so many years especially being reminded of Blake's death but Blake's death wasn't the only thing that was stuck on my guilty conscience, it was what the monster did, what he did to me.

11pm

The evening air was cool as I drove down to Plainville Avenue and parked in a spot in the discrete parking lot of a  large known insurance company. The scenery was eerie and my stomach began doing somersaults once more. I looked at the phone but saw no message assuming that I would just have to sit and wait. This was risky, I could be in danger or maybe Jason was ready to talk. I sat at the edge of the driver's seat for five more minutes, that is until I heard a noise and then I saw a shadow when I looked into the rearview mirror and came out of the car.

I looked around but saw nothing and called out but no answer came. I started walking and felt a presence behind me. Turning around decked out in all black as though going to rob a bank there he was: Jason McCann. His eyes twinkled in the semi-darkness staring, gazing, wondering. His features were just like I remembered them, nothing changed except for his alter dark ego.

"Did you come alone like I said"

"Do you see anyone else?" was my response

"Don't get smart with me Hails, I came to give you answers. Make one smart move with that Detective Steinfeild of yours and you'll be dead"

I blurted "Dead like Blake right because I bet that's what you like to see people suffer at your expense"

He drew closer but I remembered filing a restraining order against him. We were now face to face, eye to eye as he fumbled in his pocket, it was the restraining order document "See this" he smirked "Can't work with on me anymore" he began tearing it to pieces "Some guys took care of it for me, inches don't matter sweetheart, you can't keep me away from you"

"I want to know why you fled, why didn't you protect him, why did you just leave him to die"

Jason chuckled "The thing is Hailey you make me sound like a heartless coldblooded killer". I scoffed "But you are" Jason didn't take this to heart. "I fled because I couldn't go to jail, I couldn't go down the same path that Alex did. Like I said I would have taken the bullet for Blake, he was like a brother to me, all those guys are. They're the only family I have and you know that"

"But you had no right"

"No right to what Hailey? Leave him to die? The cops had already fired two shots, do you think he would have made it even with a damn ambulance. Think Hailey, even to this day I blame myself because I didn't take the bullet not even for him, my own family"

"What do you want McCann?"

"I want to help you find your parents killer"

"Why should I trust you?"

"You're the only person that knows me apart from the guys"

"Is that so?" he stepped backward "Then why did you do it Jason? Why did you make me suffer?"

"I lashed out Hails, I didn't mean to"

Blood began pumping through my veins, adrenaline rushed through my body as anger came to the surface. I wanted to do nothing more than slap him across the face for every bruise, every scratch, every broken bone of my body.

"I don't care if you were drunk, if you were going through some emotional stress. What you did makes you less of a guy you are now. What you did was destroy me both physically and emotionally" I looked into the eyes of Jason McCann and saw no remorse. I didn't want him to feel sorry for me, I wanted him to own up for his unlawful actions, one that destroys a human life forever.

"What you did was you raped and abused me"