14

Soundtrack: Ed Sheeran: Dive

"Don't call me baby unless you mean it and don't tell me you need me if you don't believe it"

~Author's Note~

ED SHEERAN BLESSED MY EARS WITH THIS SONG AND INSPIRED THIS CHAPTER

It's short but enjoy

"Don't"

"Don't what" his voice was harsh and cold. "Scared to hear the truth, is that it?"

We were only a few inches apart from each other in the expensive suite that he checked us in after running away from both of our lives. His, the psychotic bomb criminal and mine, a member of Jason McCann's gang. I still wanted to know about my parents' death and I honestly believed that Alex knew something about it. That wasn't the exact truth that he was talking about.

"McCann's don't care, Alex you sound insane right now"

His breaths were audible standing across from me and I saw it in his hazel eyes that he did really care and I was denying it. "If I was going completely insane do you think I would have brought you this far and escape, did you think I could watch on as you suffer from the hands of my brother, did you think I would have the courage to tell you what I did from a prison cell. No right?" he stared at me "Cause that's not the person I am. I'm not my brother, yeah we both have a bombing history but his character is not me and as much as I want you to believe how I feel, I'm not going to force it on you" I quickly looked away from his gaze.  "Why do you hate me Hailey" he approached. I couldn't look as much as I wanted to. I remained motionless and still as he got closer taking my hand in his "Why do you hate me this much?" he asked again only now cupping one hand under my chin lifting it to meet his eyes.

"I don't hate you" I said softly. "It-It-It-s not that...." before I could even finish I found myself turning into an emotional wreck. I saw the hurt in his eyes. "I don't need your sympathy" He immediately let go of my hand and stepped back.

"WHAT THE HELL HAVE I DONE TO YOU HAILS" he shouted in exasperation

"You watched everything  unfold and for that I will never forgive you for it. No matter how much you care for me, you still didn't come for me that night. Your brother took advantage of me and I will never look at the McCann brothers the same not even you. You get nothing from me Alex, nothing and trust me despite our different aliases I will make sure it haunts you for the rest of your life just like my parents' death haunts me even now"

"So what now, we live like strangers?"

"We can't exactly live in a hotel"

"Don't worry about that, I have enough cash to get us in a decent house but we can't go on living like this"

"Like how?" I questioned him.

"So you're just going to play dumb?"

I gave him the 'I don't know what you're talking about look' even though I knew exactly what he was getting at and he was right. Even though I hated his guts for what he did, some part of me was starting to like the sweet, kind side of Alex McCann. He started to walk close again "Like this, like you and me" he breathed. "Like I mean nothing" My stomach started churning on the inside as he neared closer only now standing in front of me eyeing my lips. "You hate one McCann brother, doesn't mean you have to hate the other one. You could deny it all you want, you could say that you have no feelings for me whatsoever when I see right through you. You may think I know nothing about you but you see over the years I learned a lot about you and from you. You're scared of loving someone because you're afraid they might attack you like my brother did. You're afraid of getting hurt but not everyone in this world is bad Hails. You don't have to hate me" he said softly leaning in closer. "I don't...." I said trailing off before Alex pressed a finger to my lips. "Don't say it, don't say anything because I know whatever comes out of your mouth will be nothing but a lie. Just..." he stopped talking and his lips pressed against mine. I allowed it and made an entrance, my insides were exploding with every movement as he held unto my waist firmly and then suddenly he pulled away staring into my eyes once more, searching for an answer, one I was confused about. I was about to say something before his back was turned against me before exiting into the hallway and turning heading towards the elevator. An intense pain erupted in my stomach, it was a pain that I have never endured before not even around Blake. What exactly was this feeling? Whatever it was, it felt like hell. I knew I had to see his face before he disappeared until night fall. "ALEX WAIT!!!" I yelled out running out of the open door and out into the hallway reaching the elevator just as it slammed shut with him looking on before I disappeared. The pain got worse as I started walking back to the hotel room closing the door slowly and bracing my back against it. "Why Alex?" I mumbled to myself repeating it over and over again before sliding to the floor in tears remembering the night of Blake's burial in his arms with my head in his chest. "Tell me I'm not falling for a McCann, I'm not"