2

"Do you have everything?" I asked Hannah helping her with her luggage out of the door. She gave me a worried look. "Its only for a few days" I smiled "I know, I know. I'll be fine besides you taught me everything I need to know to survive in this crazy world. London has so much to offer, enjoy it as much as you can" She gave me a tight hug before giving a final glance as the cab pulled up "Call me if you need anything and I mean anything Hails" she brushed my hair to the side lightly. "I love you"

I didn't know whether those three words would be the last I heard from my sister.

***

The television had nothing newsworthy these days. The crime rate in LA had increased over the past few years, I wasn't surprised by this however, it was something that was ongoing. I flipped through the channels boringly and came to a stop when the phone rang. Going over to it, I noticed the name on the caller ID "Detective Steinfeild" I thought "Why call four years after?"

I answered and pressed the phone to my ear "Hello Hannah"

"Hello Detective Steinfeild, this is Hailey, Hannah isn't here, she's on a business trip. Can I take a message?"

"Actually Hailey the police department has found a new lead in your parents murder case. It has been opened up and I do believe we will find the person who killed your parents"

A feeling of hope washed over me. My parents killer would finally come to light.

"Hailey can you come down to the station? I would really like to talk to you"

"I'll be there soon detective"

With that I headed over to headquarters

LAPD Headquarters

I arrived shortly after and walked up to the huge brick building and went through the spiral doors. Cops were spread out everywhere, some twirling in chairs, biting on pen ends, engrossed in computers and files, conference meetings and even going here and there for cups of coffee.

Detective Steinfeild stood in the distance waiting for my arrival and smiled the minute he saw me.

"Detective Steinfeild" I greeted him. "Call me Rob" he smiled "Step into my office"

I followed him into his office which was business oriented, with a small picture frame of him and his wife. He motioned for me to sit across from him with his hands crossed. "The last time I saw you, you were so..."

"Young?" I finished his sentence. He chuckled slightly. His hands picked up a numerous amount of files and opened them on the desk.

"I know this is all sudden but are you comfortable with reopening this case?"

"Yes, I want justice for my parents, I want their killer to be found"

"Good, because I'm going to need all the help I can get"

The files were now close "Take me back to that night Hannah and what you saw, feel free to stop when it gets too much for you"

The night of the murder

"My friend's mom had dropped me off shortly after 9pm on that cold Saturday evening. The house was pitch black, which seemed weird to me after all it was only 9pm. The front door was unlocked but there was no signs of a break-in. I entered and immediately headed up the staircase and found my parents door ajar. I immediately knew that something was wrong. I then knocked and opened the door and that's when, t-t-that's when I found them" my voice shook remembering the painless memories. Detective Rob held out a tissue at which I collected. "Take all the time you need"

I cleared my throat and continued "The room remained the same, nothing was removed or taken. Both my mother and father laid across the bed in a pool of blood, the white bed sheet now stained. My father didn't move but my mom still hung on croaking. The only clue left before she succumbed to the injuries were "He's coming" The police didn't really look into it when I told them, now figuring it could be another clue"

"Could your mother have known her killer Hannah, its possible" he reached into a draw and rested a zip lock bag on the desk aside from the files. "We found this at the crime scene, you're well aware of that" I nodded. "Four years ago our investigators couldn't pick up a handprint from off this very gun and now they're working on tracing it to the person who pulled the trigger."

Rob stood up which was my cue to leave. "We will keep in touch, thank you for coming on such short notice"

"I'll do anything to help, thank you for having me"

I left the LAPD and drove back home and parked in the garage with a million thoughts racing through my my mind "Is this the beginning of The Cortez case all over again?" I thought relentlessly. My stomach ached from going through the horrific scene from the night of the murder. Hannah blames herself for not being home at the time, maybe now our parents would still be alive. Going into the kitchen I fixed myself a quick ham sandwich and shortly after went to bed.

I woke up to ten miss calls, all from an unknown number. My phone rang again, this time I picked up. Heavy breathing could be heard on the other end

"Hello, who is this?"

The breathing was heard once more before I hung up. The phone rang again within the short space of five seconds.

"I want no trouble Hailey, I just want to help"

I knew that deep voice anywhere but how did he reach me? Initially I had changed my number five times to escape from this monster. A monster I feared. "I don't want your help. Goodbye"

I paced around staring at the walls of the room when the phone rang again

"I don't want your excuses"

"I would have taken the bullet for Blake and you know that but I wasn't going to risk my life and go in the slammer. I gave you a life Hailey, a life that you never had, you owe me"

The words hurt like a bang "I said goodbye"

I hung up and feared for the worst, I knew he was back and he only meant trouble.

Jason McCann