21: Preplanning

HÅKON

The day before the wedding is exciting to say the least. Rocket and I spent the morning frantically trying to find one of us a tie that went with our suits because we mistakenly brought the one damn tie that we both have with us to Sweden and neither of us had a second. So after Rocket finds one that's the same (ish) style as his suit and would work okay with the color he has going on (it's this forest green that I love on him but doesn't match fucking anything but that damn tie) and mine's a rougher kinda red brown color that kinda matches up with his.

Then of course we're given the duty of getting the bridesmaids and the groomsmen out of Isa and Leo's way so Rocket and I drag all of their asses out to the cabin and essentially quarantine the gang of 6. Vera, Eva, Astrid, Kaz, Petar, and Sven. which brings us here.

"Your name is like, actually Sven?" Rocket's hand is over his mouth, staring at Leo's friend who's looking at me for assistance.

"Uh, yeah," he manages. "Why?"

"Like the reindeer?" Rocket is mindblown.

"No, not like the reindeer." Sven mumbles. "I'm... older than that."

"Håkon you didn't tell me that there's actual Swedish people named-"

"Rocket, I'm literally named Håkon."

"Okay, but, like, c'mon, it's Sven." Sven, a normally very very quiet man, is slowly edging toward the door to the yard. I nod at him to let him leave and he takes it and books it. "Did I scare him off." Rocket seems disappointed.

"Yes, you did," I take a step across the kitchen. "It's okay, though, Sven is incredibly shy."

Rocket winces. "Now I feel bad."

"It's okay, you're good."

Then he pulls in a deep breath. "Okay, I will be honest, I've never been to a wedding and this actually happening right now is freaking me out."

"You've never been to a wedding? Why not? I thought most hockey guys had been to one of their teammates weddings at least once."

"Well, you see you're missing the whole, 'Steph and I weren't cool' part of that."

I shrug. "Okay, what part do you need me to explain?"

"Most of it."

"So we're gonna be up somewhat early to drive down and help mom and dad with whatever they're doing in the morning, then at noon we're gonna eat lunch, obviously, then at like one, Isa's gonna be doing her whole... thingy thing, you know, and we're going to fuck around with the boys until, ya know, like three, and then we just need to be on standby until like the preparty thingy that they have at the actual venue, then-"

"There's a preparty?" He mumbles. "God please don't tell me this is gonna involve the same level of drinking it did in Norway, I'm gonna cry."

"No, no, god no, my parents don't do that, at all, none of my family drinks outside of church, Leo's would definitely be chill with taking a few shots beforehand but that's just the Beckstrands for you."

"Nice, nice, I like them already, but I can't drink like that so I'll just stay away from that part of it."

I nod. "So then after that at like 3:15 the whole ceremony thingy starts and we sit through that, I assume I'll cry, but-"

"Language check?"

I wince. "Definitely most likely Swedish,"

He waves it off. "I'll probably cry anyway."