33: How to Håkon

prenote: I'm redoing this mostly because it makes no canonical sense for PC to have the ending scene and STTM to have this. for now this is what it looks like and I'm planning on keeping dialogue and switching characters. 

ROCKET

"Steph?"

"Yeah?" He's mostly asleep, so his response is groggy and slow.

"I'm in up to my eyes with this guy and I can't get him off my head, what the hell do I do?"

"I'm assuming you can't tell me anything about him still, like you've been doing." 

"Yeah."

"So, what's going on with it?"

"I told him about a month ago that we shouldn't be dating, you know, because he's not ready for it, not accepted it for himself. Right?"

"Smart move."

"Right, so I just, he's been driving me up a wall."

"How so?"

"I don't know, it's like he's fucking taunting me all the time, I mean, he's not. Everything else about him is, though."

"What?"

"Okay, I know August is a touchy subject right now-"

"Right." His answer is cold.

"Right, I know, I'm sorry, but has... has she ever turned you on so much you can barely function?"

He rolls over, lifting up off the sheets, hair sticking in every direction, eyebrows furrowed, just staring at me. "What?"

"Just answer the question." I run my hand through my hair.

He groans in a way I'm pretty sure is reserved for August. "Yes."

"Right, so you know the feeling, yeah?"

"If you're going to give me details about every which way that this dude is blue balling you, I'm going to put a pillow over my head. Or your head, depends on what you say."

"It's not entirely that, though, yes, that has sucked, but it's just, I feel bad because I don't know if he's ready or not, or if he'll ever be ready, or if I am, because hell, Steph, I haven't ever dated. I don't know what to do."

"So you're a little scared?"

"Yeah, and the hold is mostly because I want him to get better with this, with accepting it, but it's also because I don't know what to do in a relationship. I can barely keep myself alive, much less be like that with someone else."

"Are you asking me for advice right now?" He asks, he's confused. "Me, the guy you dragged from the depths of whatever all that was and got me to a goddamn mental hospital. Me the ex-alcoholic piece of garbage that you barely kept alive for two years? Now you're asking me for advice?"

"Yeah, that's what I'm doing."

He puffs out his cheeks and sits up, criss-crossing his legs. "What do you want to know?"

"How do I do it?"

"What?"

"All of it. Date. There's no instruction manual for it. I don't know what to do in that type of situation."

Steph shrugs. "You know I'm a romantic and I tell everyone that you just have to go with it. And hell, Rocks, you're the best person I know at just going with it. I don't know why you're worried. And what about Kelly?"