Chapter Seventeen

"What do you mean he just up and left?" Odette asked Noah as he sat on the bed opposite hers, shaking his head. She'd remembered that moment of the night where he bid her farewell but she'd only thought it to be a dream. Where some good man was kissing her goodnight. Had it really been true? Did he really kiss her goodbye?

"How could he just have left?" She asked.

"He didnt say much. Just said he needs to take care of something and I will find him at the right time."

"Emphasis on the 'I'?" She spoke with a clenched jaw.

"He wants you out of this, Odette. You dont belong in this world."

"Noah, we're humans, all of us don't belong in this world of death and misery. But here we are." She scolded, dropping on her bed, "Anyway, I know he wants to get rid of me."

"Thats not true." Noah sighed.

"He told me. And its fine. Right now, I want to know where he went. That man from last night? He couldn't have been the only one knowing where we are? He just left us in the middle of nowhere." She gulped, "If he knew something, why not give us a hint? Anything, really?"

"Maybe he has another..."

"Noah, I know you assign his assignments."

"How?"

"I didn't. It was a guess." She released a breath.

"Maybe I should join forces with you." He grinned.

"Noah." She sat beside him and took his hand.

"Are you scared?"

"A little." She mumbled.

"I'm here with you. Does that help?"

She lifted her head and stared at his pursed lips smile.

"More than you know." She sighed and he kissed her forehead. She dropped her forehead against his cheek and they hummed together.

"I like you." He whispered.

"I know." She smirked.

"But I know you like him." He answered and her eyes opened.

"No." She moved back.

He tilted his head.

"I don't feel that way about him. I don't. In fact I think we hate each other as much as two people could." She snorted.

"I..." He dropped his head and leaned in to kiss her. She was going to reciprocate when both stopped, "I think we feel vulnerable."

"Yeah." She sniffed. He gulped and then he was kissing her. She was kissing him back. He pulled her in and lifted her to sit in his lap. Her fingers slid through his hair and he hummed, scrunching fingers in her back, leading to her bottom. She played with his mouth and he dropped her on the bed. She pushed off his blazer and he tried her shirt. His lips drifted from her mouth down to her neck when she froze. She opened her eyes and looked down at him.