36 |

PLEASE VOTE & FOLLOW ME FOR MORE ANNOUNCEMENTS!

Not much later, my sister had left in the blink of an eye.

Literally.

We had discussed other matters as well, including the fact that I needed aid in training one of my spies to become an Oracle. We had just been about to talk about what was going to happen to her before she was gone.

She had just vanished, and I presume it was because she did not want to be present during the conversation with Paxton. If I were to be honest, I was dreading it as well. Sweat accumulated across my brow as my heartbeat sped up a bit faster; I was anxious for what was to come.

A thought popped into my head, and I had to lean back on my bed in sudden realization. Destiny's child would inherit her magic, I thought in wonder. The child would be able to vanish in a moment's time as well. Although I was stating the obvious, it was incredible to think about. Moreover, as Destiny plans to leave the baby on my doorstep, Paxton and I would have to be able to teach the child how to control and master its powers. A surge of anger went through me, as well as anguish —knowing neither Destiny nor Embry will watch their child grow into the amazing person I know they will be.

Abrupt movement is caught in my peripheral vision, and I see a tall figure slinking its way towards me after walking through my bedroom door.

I slide to the end of the bed, sitting on just the edge as my mate strides towards me. Sharp eyes are on me instantly, and there is a sort of heated look within those beautiful eyes. Paxton stands there, and if I were to look straight ahead I would be aligned with his most private parts. Instead, he gingerly brings his fingers to my chin and lifts my face to peer up at him.

Through my lashes, I can see he looks a little dazed. I could not figure out why, as he deeply inhales. His eyes, almost impossibly, darken. "Something about you is different," he murmurs to me and grazes his thumb across my bottom lip.

"I wasn't gone very long," I shot back defensively. I wasn't sure where the sudden attitude came from. I gently slide out from his hands and lay back on the bed, staring at the ceiling. It seemed empty.

"I know that," he tensed up. I wasn't sure what he could smell, but he looked on edge.

I patted the spot beside me, on our bed, and Paxton did not hesitate to lay down on top of the covers alongside me. We both lay on our backs, staring at the ceiling. I wondered at this moment what my mate was thinking, and what he would be thinking soon after I told him the news.

"We need to talk," I whisper and close my eyes. I place my hands on my belly without thinking, however, I don't think Paxton noticed at the instant.

"You're not leaving me, are you?" He chuckles jokingly and slides his arms across me. He muzzles his face into the crook of my neck and kisses the part that meets my shoulder. My eyes fly open as his hand lays across my stomach, and he draws small circles with his hand in a comforting manner. He didn't even know.

"What if I was?" I retorted, teasingly, although it did not come out sounding as such. His hand stilled on my stomach and his head lifted.

"I would rip apart the world to get you back."

He was dead serious and seemed a little angry over the sudden question. Or maybe it was the thought of never seeing me again that spiked the surge of emotion. I don't know what came over me, but I felt as though I needed reassurance. I kept quizzing him. "And," I started. "Do you love me no matter what?"

"Until my dying breath," he breathes, looking me in the eyes. Searching. Wondering.

"I don't want you to hate me..." I said, equally searching his eyes. Concern laced through his features and he brought his face over to kiss me tenderly on my cheek. Then my forehead. And then my lips, finally. It was a short and sweet kiss.