14 |

His demanding lips pressed against mine even more roughly. A groan broke through us, Paxton bringing one of his hands up to my neck and the other behind my head; deepening the kiss even more. Before we were going to take this further, I lightly push Paxton off of me. His face is flushed, his lips slightly swollen.

I wanted to eat him right up.

But I had other things to think about.

"Who are you?" He asks, slightly frazzled as he calms his own breathing. "What are you?"

"Not someone you want around." An instant regrent pusles through my body. What was I thinking?

"That's up for me to decide," Paxton replies. He brings one of his hands up to my cheek, and gently lingers it there. His eyes scan the entirety of my face. Before I can say anything, someone clears their throat roughly from the doorway. My face burns red as my eyes come in contact with Teague's, who looking at the both of us angrily. Paxton swiftly shuffled his body so he was covering most of my body away from Teague.

"Actually," Teague starts from the doorway. "It isn't. For the well-being of this pack, I've called an early Alpha meeting."

Paxton snatches his hands away from me as if I had burned him, and runs up to Teague. He grabs him by the throat and bares his teeth to him.

"You did what?!" Paxton growls, his entire body shaking in rage. "You had no right, Teague."

"I'm still Beta of this pack, Pax. I'm a high-ranking member and have the ability to call upon Alpha meetings with other ranking members if the well-being of this pack is being jeopardized."

"And how, exactly, is this pack being jeopardized?" Paxton asks steely.

"Her."

His answer is short; simple. His eyes flicker to mine and I can sense that he feels guilty... but there is also an underlying emotion there. Weary. He had no idea who I was; what I am. What I was doing in his territory, really.

"You were supposed to complete the mating ceremony with Sadie. We need an heir, and a strong mated Alpha — everything was on track."

... Until I came along.

Silence filled the room.

"Quinn— or whatever your name is," Teague says to me with a sigh. "You need to start being honest with us. All we've done is be complicit to your wishes. We have given you safety; a home. All we asked for in return was for you to be honest."

Paxton doesn't bother to say anything, because he knew his Beta was right. I knew he was right, as well.

"I'll leave," I offer. "I don't want to endanger this pack... which I may if the truth about me comes up."

My words make Paxton's expression harden— he was pissed. I had played, lied and manipulated him.

"That isn't good enough for me," Paxton says. "I don't trust you. Now that I know you want to leave... I can't allow that to happen." His words make me panic, and I start to internally freak out.

"What are you going to do to me?" I ask the two men, my eyes darting between Paxton and Teague. They seem to be conversing between themselves, in a mind-link notorious for wolves.

"You're going to stay here," Teague replies with a clipped tone. "Until the Alpha meeting."

"When is that?" Beads of sweat start to make itself known on the back of my neck, and I shuffle around on the bed nervously. I had no idea what a high-ranking official meeting entailed, and it made a pit form in my stomach uneasily.