9 |

🖤 AN: Hey guys, lots of love, thank you so much for waiting for this chapter! PLEASE VOTE! 🖤

Paxton avoided me for days.

I continued to cautiously train with Teague, but it didn't even matter because he never came by to observe. Each day I would push my boundaries a little bit farther, hoping that Paxton would show up and I would catch his attention.

But, I mostly spent my time with Everleigh. She shared the 'tea' as she called it about everyone living in the main pack land.

"Sadie is royal in more ways than one... regal by blood, but also a royal pain in the ass. She's been causing drama since the time she could crawl. Alpha Paxton took over at about the same time that Sadie turned of age. And that is all it took for her to set her sights on him."

I was well aware of the complicated relationships between royals and werewolves but I pretended to be ignorant.

"Wait, wouldn't Paxton, —Alpha Paxton, I mean, be royal if he is an Alpha?"

Everleigh didn't seem shocked at my slip of tongue. She just flipped her red hair over her shoulder and sighed.

"We live in a complicated world. In some cases, yes, royals and the Alpha family are the same. When the werewolf race first emerged, many wolves married into the monarch line or already were wolves. However, the first Alpha's weren't born —they were created. They were humans turned into wolves. It is said that this painful experience is what makes them so strong. The moon goddess handpicked them for leadership."

I cringed at this, thinking of the Moon Goddess —Artemis— selecting her favourites to literally throw to the wolves and hope they survive. It was cruel, just like her. I let Everleigh continue; something in me wanted to know anything and everything I could about Paxton.

"Paxton's family is like that —his father, Jerimiah, was bitten back in 1773, during the first werewolf surge. He couldn't die until he raised an heir, so it wasnt until just recently that Paxton took over. Jerimiah mated to a non-royal, so the family stayed away from all the monarchy politics. Royals are a bunch of bullshit; they're all just titles anyway... no real power whatsoever."

I hung on to every word.

I remember that day.

The day the magic wolves were sent down into the town. I was only seven or eight at the time but I could hear the screams. Hundreds were turned, some died, the pain too much. But the ones that survived were strong. They created communities around their natural leaders. The territory was allotted to each of the new Alpha's; they came together as packs, eventually giving birth to future generations of werewolves.

I watched their traditions grow, and unfold. I watched the first laws be written and first wars rage.

It almost felt silly now to sit here and pretend that I didn't know anything.

However, it was almost easy —seeing as I had missed out on the last few decades.

In that moment, I almost thought about telling Everleigh, just spilling my soul to her and hoping she accepts me.

But something made me bite my tongue.

I hadn't heard from Destiny in a long time. It had now been weeks since my audience with Embry. My heart started pounding in my chest from the momentary panic.

What if something had happened? What if the Alpha that was looking for us was getting closer and she had to flee?

I was getting myself worked up. No one could kill Destiny. I needed a distraction.