13 |

I jolted awake.

My head was pounding — my heart racing faster than ever before. I start to shuffle around; my arms had been restrained to the side of a bed. I knew I was in a world of trouble...

I could suddenly hear Teague's rough voice on the other side of the door. It was slightly muffled, but I could make out the words he was saying.

"She's a liability, the whole pack thinks you have her in the dungeons! Which is where she should rightfully be — in my opinion. What would they do if they found out you were keeping... t-that thing in your home?"

I chose silence as my best defence. I decided that it was the only way for me to keep any semblance of secrecy. 

Destiny was going to kill me.

"She isn't a thing," I can hear Paxton's angry growl through the door as well now. "We just aren't sure what she is."

"Tell me why you're keeping her here."

The emphasis that Teague places on here makes me freak out a little more. Where was I? I frantically look around the small bedroom I was in, and it looked... normal. I was in exactly the opposite of what Teague had suggested — a dungeon. Instead, I was in a room that screamed high-class. 

The blankets that were under me were a light-blue silk, and it helped ease the burn every time I tried to shift out of the restraints on me. The walls were white; modern, and clean looking. A small aloe plant was located on one of the black dressers. I wished it was a cactus.

I now knew I was in Paxton's private home. Why? I wasn't so sure.

"I don't have to answer to you!" Paxton's anger radiated through the door and I had to stop myself from shivering. The power of his voice made me curl my toes into the silky sheets subconsciously. Any anger he had toward Teague right now would not be as bad as what I had coming towards me.

"No you don't," Teague's clipped voice rings through. I crane my neck to listen to the rest of his words, as his voice lowers. "But you'll have to answer to your mate."

The blood drains from my face, and I actually choke on my own spit. The small noise that comes from my throat involuntarily makes the other side of the door eerily quiet. There goes my eavesdropping. However, that was the least of my concerns. It made me sick to my stomach that the word 'mate' had multiple meanings when it came to Paxton.

Were they talking about Sadie, or me?

I shake the thought from my head. There is no way he could know about me being his mate — and that was for the best. If anyone were to find out my true identity—

Suddenly I remember the words I had last spoken to Paxton, during my hallucination on the drugs. I had told him that my name wasn't Quinn...

Gulping, I face my fear and acknowledge the presence on the other side of the door. "I know you guys are out there," I softly call.

Swiftly, Paxton enters the doorway and Teague follows suit. They both look equally brooding; equally pissed off. At me? At each other? My eyes dance between the two of them, hoping someone will cut through the silence that was suffocating all of us.

"Teague, I want you to leave."

The words came from Paxton, as he stared at me in the doorway. Teague immediately opens his mouth to say something, but Paxton holds a hand up to silence him. I watch as Teague angrily grumbled and turns away without a second thought, storming out of the house.

It was now just Paxton and I.

"I'm not sure what to say..." I begin. Paxton's eyes are watching me; unnerving and calm. They drop to my wrists as he notices how uncomfortable the restraints are.