32 |

PLEASE VOTE 🥺

When Destiny told me she was planning to die, I could not have been more dumbfounded.

Until she told me she was pregnant.

And still planning on ending her life after the birth of the baby.

Yet, none of it was as shocking as the earthquake that came out of her mouth next —the real reason she came here.

"I want you to take care of my child after I die, I am naming you as their sole guardian."

She stated it so matter of fact as if she had given this plan years of thought.

I reeled at the preposition.

"No, you can't put this on me! You, of all people, know how dangerous it can be to raise a child with that much power." Destiny had practically raised me, cultivating my powers, sheltering me from the world that would have trained me to destroy rather than build.

Destiny stepped forward, attempting to place her hand on my shoulder. I jutted back —I wanted to make it clear that I was not even a little bit on board with her crazy train of thought.

Despite my recoil, she continued, "And that my dear sister is why I am entrusting you to do exactly that." She turns to Paxton, who scoffs at her turn of attention.

"Is this not a safe pack?"

I knew what she was doing, picking on his protective instincts. It worked.

"Of course it is, I will protect every person here with my own life if that is what it takes, but—"

Destiny raised a manicured hand to cut him off. "But nothing —it is safe, and if I leave my child here I do not doubt that you will protect them as if they were your own."

Destiny stepped forward quickly, grabbing my shoulders. I could feel Paxton fuming beside me, and he put his hand on top of where hers rested. A warning that this conversation was coming to an end.

"You may be my favourite sister, Theia, but this is not a request. It is just a courtesy notice before I drop a baby on your doorstep,"

And then she was gone, in Destiny fashion, the only trace of her presence was the heaviness of her words as the hung in the air. I felt instantly empty, carved out; there was nothing left of me to give in this moment, physically or mentally.

I wanted to start anew —to go to bed and have tomorrow be my first day as Luna. Yet, my new role was inescapable. I had to shake off this feeling of self-pity. My duty was no longer about what I had to give, but it was about serving the people of this pack so they never had to feel as I do.

It feels like several minutes before I take a shaky inhale of air. Paxton's hand was still on my shoulder. Without turning I brought my hands to his and cradled my head against it. I was pulled into the security of his chest.

I try to blow everything off, to reassure Paxton, whose mind must be whirling at the idea of raising a child that does not share his blood.

"She will change her mind, as soon as she holds that baby in her hands. She will do everything in her power to never be separated from the child. Even if it means letting Embry die without her."

I turn slightly and kiss his steady hand. I stare at his bare fingers, and I suddenly become conscious of the glaringly red mark that my neck bore.

"Paxton, do you think you would wear a wedding ring if I got you one? In human culture, it is a symbol of your devotion and shows everyone else you have taken an oath to another. I know most mates both wear the mark they give each other, but for reasons obvious to both of us, I cannot mark you."