16 |

Chaos —that was what I had expected to immediately follow. As the word left my brother's mouth, I thought my world was going to end; this would be my death sentence.

The room was silent.

Eerily, and all I could hear was the breath leaving my own body. I was hyperventilating as I scanned the room and watched powerful leaders — Alphas and Betas alike, start to look at me warily.

I was a wanted woman.

And the man who was hunting me, he was here. Alpha Klayton. I hadn't yet seen him, but he was a prestigious leader, and the Alpha Assembly demanded his presence.

"Theia?" Ashton echos once more, and my attention snaps back to him. My eyes travel to look at his light brown hair, ever so curled lightly on his head. In the light, it almost glowed orange hues amidst the natural sun. Suddenly, his hands reaches for me but I step out of the way quickly, creating a small distance between us.

"Y-You have me confused with someone else." I try to keep my voice steady, although my fingers were slightly trembling at my side. Paxton is stiff at my side and doesn't even glance my way as my pleading eyes try to meet his own.

"I don't think I do," Ashton cooly replies. He starts to slowly circle me, examining me —really making sure that what he was seeing with his eyes was real. As he walked around me, I watched as his guards tensed. Like they were waiting to pounce, just in case. My eyes look back to my mate beside me —Paxton's jaw is clenched, and I wonder what he was thinking. If he would give me up.

Everyone knew me to be wanted —the names Theia and Destiny had been circulating on a global level. Alpha Klayton had made sure of that; he wanted us dead or alive.

Alive... just so he could kill us. Probably in the most inhumane way possible —he wanted justice; revenge for the death of his mate.

"I didn't think the rumors were true," Ashton mumbled to me. It was low enough so that no one else could hear it, except for Paxton who was still standing quite close. "It's been a long time. I thought you were dead." Ashton's eyes are filled with multiple emotions. Confusion. Relief. Anger.

"I was," I hiss back. "And thanks to you, I'm a dead woman again." I swear my siblings are trying to ruin my life sometimes.

Paxton finally turned his head at my words, and shock covered his features. I shouldn't have said that, I thought to myself. I open my mouth to say something to him before I'm suddenly cut off by a large growl.

Murderous and thunderous, the growl promised death in its wake. I spin around, the sound coming from the other side of the room. I stop in my tracks as I'm looking into the eyes of the man who wants me dead.

Alpha Klayton.

He takes one large step forward, and I watch as his claws begin to retract from his knuckles. Blood seeps down onto the floor, and his teeth have turned into razor-sharp; his Lycan was coming out. Death was in his eyes, the darkness of them mesmerizing me and I found myself not being able to move an inch. To breath. I felt paralyzed with fear.

Paxton moves quickly, jumping in front of me just as Klayton slashes an arm out. I gasp as Paxton bleeds from his chest — Klayton had slashed deep razor claws into him, which was meant for me —a kill shot.
Red soaks through Paxton's suit, and he clenches his jaw in pain as Klayton stumbles back and roars in anger.

"Move!" Klayton's thunderous growl shakes the room, and leaders have started to exit the room and into the next. They knew what was going to happen — they didn't need to witness my death. Ashton's stricken face meets my own as his guards usher him out. Paxton pants heavily as he covers me; protects me from Klayton's unmatched wrath. "Let me kill her!" He roars.