18 |

"I remember telling Adira to get you to come and visit me. I had told her I missed you," the green-eyed witch spoke. "Isn't it ironic... how you are the reason that I miss her." The words were harsh and directed toward a solemn-looking Destiny. I watched my sister grind her teeth lightly, and look away in shame. But then her eyes met mine, and a smile tugged on the side of my sister's mouth.

Maybe I was worth it.

We were all seated in the living room of Eleanor's house, she sat directly across from the three of us — who were squished into the one couch. I shuffled anxiously on the couch, whereas Embry looked bored. Stoic. I paid him no mind and focused my attention on her.

"Do you know why we are here?" I ask lightly. This makes her attention snap to me, and her calculating eyes look me up and down. I try not to anxiously shuffle on the couch this time, under her scrutinizing gaze. It was almost more nerve-wracking that she was seemingly a child; it makes me feel more exposed and vulnerable around her.

"You want to bring back Adira," her raspy voice answers. A floating teacup enters the room unexpectedly, followed by other cups of tea. Mesmerized, I watch as every little one floats in front of each of us. I open my hand and it floats into my palm, delicately placing itself there. I take a sip and mutter a thank you, alongside Destiny and Embry.

"We want to bring her back, but not the same way I was brought back," I tell her, completely honest. It would be a never-ending death cycle of Goddesses. "Is this possible?"

"There is always a loophole in magic," Eleanor states cryptically. Her finger hovers over the teacup and I see the tea stirring itself, all on its own. I bring my attention back to her.

"That's what we want to know," Destiny pleads lightly to her, but Eleanor just stares at me. Unblinking.

Then her eyes shift to Embry, who had yet to say a word. His eyes meet hers, lingering— and for a moment, I wondered what they were thinking. She draws her gaze back to me.

"There is always a deep price with dark magic. It doesn't always have to be a deadly one," she starts. Her eyes travel back to Embry and narrow. "The sacrifice will have to be extreme. It needs to be as equivalent —as detrimental of a sacrifice such as Adira's death."

"What could possibly compare?" Destiny asks as she blows some of her pink hair out of her face, huffing. Wordlessly, she grips my hand on the couch. We wouldn't lose each other, no matter what.

"A celestial event will draw an efficient sum of power; however it will not be enough. There needs to be another source of magic sacrificed." Eleanor starts to braid her hair, completely calm — these words have no affect on her.  

"I will," Embry states and stands up. "I will be the sacrifice."

My mouth drops and I watch as Destiny immediately stands up as well, placing her hands onto his chest. His large hands envelop her own, their matching black nail polish capturing my attention once again. They're looking into each other's eyes and she rapidly shakes her head.

"Don't be a fool," Destiny scolds and tries to get him to sit back down. He refused and faces Eleanor again. She watches the two of them with a ghost-like smile, which stretches across her whole face. It was rather creepy and made goosebumps appear on my arm.

"I figured you would offer such a thing, dearest Embry. The sacrifice from you would just be your magic; your life does not need to be lost."

I pick up my teacup and take a sip. This is not what I had expected.

~

"Losing your magic will make you feel like you've lost your life. Embry... you will not be immortal anymore."