20 |

It was a promise quickly broken, as in just another moment we were pulled apart by Destiny and Embry.

Grabbing onto my arm, I was dragged back by my sister into the dreaded house to discuss the details pertaining to the ritual that would bring Adira back.

I was standing now; watching Klayton across the room as he was perched on the edge of the couch in one of Ashton's offices. Moments ago I had been in my mates embrace, privately.

Klayton's huge frame was making it look like doll furniture. He was also biting his nails. His gaze was aimed at the floor as Destiny spoke to him.

Watching a werewolf of his caliber break down into a ball of anxiety made everyone in the room freeze. The power of the mate bond was the only thing that could cause such pain.

It made me inch closer to Paxton. My torso was now flush against his hips, and I relaxed against his solid frame beside me. I felt his hands wrap around my front and finally settled, crossed over each other. Holding me tight.

I knew Destiny and Embry could feel it too. Embry started walking towards her, and her hand outstretched behind her so he could hold it.

Destiny had just informed Klayton that we just had over two days to prepare. The summer solstice was approaching, and would be our opportunity to bring Adira back once and for all.

I could see tears in Destiny's eyes as she thought about what would happen during the ceremony. Embry would lose his powers, including his immortality. Paxton and Klayton were probably unaware of her sadness.

She kept it well hidden under her hard shell.

But I knew Embry and I could feel it. It created a thick silence that seemed to wrap around the air in the room. It almost became hard to breathe looking at the scene before me...

Nothing would ever be the same.

Klayton finally broke the wall of quiet.

"I want her to do it," his head snapped up, his eyes meeting mine. I could feel Paxton hold me tighter. This was not part of the plan. "Theia will cast the spell, because at least if it goes wrong balance will be restored in the world. The dead will go back to being dead."

His stare grew hard, his anxiety morphing to anger. And an angry alpha was not a path anyone wanted to cross.

Paxton pushed me behind him, and in one fluid movement, he was hovering over Klayton.

"That is not an option." His words were cold and held no inclination that he and Klayton used to be friends. His face was hard as the two Alpha's challenged on another.

That friendship clearly diminished when it was made evident that Klayton didn't care if I died, in fact it almost seemed as if he would prefer it. 

Klayton took a defensive stance, standing.

"You would want her dead too."

Paxton tensed. I could see the muscles in his back against his shirt. He rippled with power as he stood, eye to eye with the oldest Alpha in the world. 

Klayton spoke again.

"If she died in your arms, by the hand of a friend turned traitor... If you saw her take her last breath, watch her lips turn blue, feel her fingers go cold. And if you had to pump your hands against her heart for hours before realizing that her chest would never rise again on it's own... You wouldn't survive. You would die of heartbreak after killing everyone in your path, killing anyone that had anything to do in the conspiring of her demise. In the absence of love, a person truly discovers the scariest parts of oneself," Klayton hisses. "But thank god I am stronger than you."