Chapter 22 - I'm a (Former) Japanese That Can't Say No

The next morning. The awkward atmosphere from last night was gone. At least, on the surface. Elsa was still talkative as always, Lloyd glanced over with a blush on his face before turning away, and the two escorts appeared to be deep in conversation about something sinister. Everyone, please follow Nicole's example. But as I thought that.

"11 years old... somehow... with my son..."

It seems like he was muttering something ominous. Nicole, even you? For starters, I have no plans on becoming a merchant. I might run into the toad-faced man.

Although there were various worrisome issues, it seems that we will arrive in Harula in about two days. I would finally be free from the current situation. As I was wishing we would arrive soon, I continue acting as Elsa's conversation partner while thinking absentmindedly. But as expected, something happened. Troublesome matters

It wasn't something related to the escorts, but instead monsters attacked. Six orcs to be precise. I started hoping they had come in peace, but obviously that was just wishful thinking.

But fear not! We have two veteran adventurers escorting us! Since I have been feeding them quite a bit of food for a while, I would like you two to work hard now! Show me the power of those who work as adventurers for a living. Otherwise, I might have to reduce the amount of meat I was giving them.

If I was calculating benefits and loss.

"What!? What are orcs doing here!? And there's six of them!?"

"Hey, Ziggy! This is impossible! Let's hurry up and escape!"

What?

Just wait a moment, what are you two talking about? Isn't your job to work hard here to allow everyone to escape? I was confused by their remarks.

"Hey, old man! As such, we'll be escaping first!"

"What are you talking about! Stop messing around!"

"We're not messing around! Why should everyone have to die? It'll be the same no matter what!"

"That's right, old man! That's why, you should buy us some time until we can get away!"

The two of them immediately drew their weapons and slashed Nicole's legs after saying so. I was still processing what was happening right in front of me. My mind had frozen up due to the various things happening.

As I stood there stunned, Ziggy approached me and tried grabbing my arm, but Bell drove him away. Norn was busy trying to intimidate the orcs and keep them at bay.

"Hey Ziggy! What are you doing!?"

"This brat might be worth using! Just those glasses alone might be worth something..."

"Our lives come first! Hurry up!"

"Tch! Whatever!"

...Those two were beyond saving. Maybe, I should just kill them right now. That sort of thought briefly passed through my mind, but there were various other matters that took priority. As such, I was able to remain cool. I turned my attention away from the two escorts who were running away and went towards Nicole.

Elsa was clinging on to him and crying. It was bad since she was also shaking him.

Both of his legs were cut. I looked over the injuries. Although the cuts were quite deep, they didn't reach the veins. Something at this level should be curable with a low-potion.

I took out a potion and poured it over the wounds and they immediately healed.

Nicole-san who had just been in pain, now had a surprised expression on his face, but he quickly recovered and thanked me.