Chapter 56 - The Straw Millionaire?

The village chief called out to me as I was playing around with Lily.

“Hey, are you done yet?’

“Ah, yes.”

 Sorry, but Lily was just too cute.

“You were the only one who passed this time. So I would like to finish the transaction immediately, is that alright?”

“Sure, I’m fine with that.”

“Then this way. Come.”

It seems he was leading me to where the eggs were stored. Lily and the others also follow along.

“By the way, the soup…”

“Ah, that? You’re free to have the remainder that’s left in the pot.”

“Thanks. And those black onions you used to make it, is it possible to have some of those too?”

“I apologize, but…”

“I’m not saying that you have to give away the recipe for it. I can also pay you too!”

“…Sorry.”

I felt bad. But it was really troublesome to make them.

The process itself was simple, but it took time. Since it also required constant heat, the fuel cost would be quite high in this world. I had a magic stove so I could replenish it using mana, but it still took really long to make. Due to the above, I decided to decline. Although, I guess I didn’t really list the reasons.

Eh? Wouldn’t it have been easier to use Creation Magic? Well, it just wouldn’t feel right if I didn’t actually make it…

“Nuu, so it’s no good… that’s unfortunate.”

It was unfortunate, but there was no helping it. Since it was troublesome.

“Um, Ren… then.”

“Next time, okay?”

“Yes!”

Lily had become a rather disappointing child. I fed her too much!

“That aside, how were the inns?”

“We couldn’t find any.”

“What?”

“Or rather, there weren’t any inns to begin with.”

“Eh, then where are the merchants who came to buy the eggs living…?”

“I think it was an area around the road leading to the village? It seems that the entire area is being used as a camp, and the merchants are sleeping in their carriages over there.”

Probably so they could keep watch over their cargo. I see.

“Rather, we had to search for you since when we returned from searching for inns, you and the carriage disappeared, you know?”

 Hahaha. Sorry?

We arrived at the egg storage place shortly after. An underground entrance?

“Just beyond this.”

“Is this… perhaps a freezer?”

“That’s right. This is the best way to store food for as long as possible.”

To be frank, I was surprised. I thought it would be a medieval storage method where the eggs would be kept at room temperature, but it was actually properly stored. Well, no, there were still modern foreign countries that were still like that. Japan was just an exception.