Chapter 82 - When You're Young, Eat More Meat

I was watching them hunting horned rabbits from the side, but… since this was their first time… I probably should’ve expected this?

Anyway, the first rabbit was a disaster. Maricle still couldn’t use the shield well, and the three girls found it hard to find the timing to stab the rabbit with the spear. They managed to defeat it, but… the rabbit was full of holes. The corpse was cruelly stabbed to death. They only had to get used to this.

“There are so many holes.”

“The taste won’t really change when you eat it.”

“That’s right…”

After killing the first rabbit, I hung it near my tent outside the forest to drain the blood from the meat. I dug a hole right under it so the blood would drip there. I would put the internal organs into that hole once I dismantled the rabbit, then bury it. Other monsters and wild animals would gather if I drained the blood or dismantled it in the forest, so we should do it like this even if it was troublesome. I could just do it quickly, but they were all still amateurs. This would be a good lesson for them.

Once I drain the blood and dismantle the first rabbit, we went to the forest again to look for the second one. By the way, I gifted them a leather bag to store the dismantled materials. I put the skin, meat, and horns in separate bags. For now, I put the leather bag in my tent. By the way, I got the bones. I wonder if we should eat dashi after this.

They got more used in using their weapons when battling with the second rabbit. Maricle struck the rabbit to the ground while warding it off and made a gap for the girls to attack. The three girls stabbed their spears at that chance and won. They sure got used to this fast.

I finished dismantling the second animal quickly, and they hunted the third, fourth, and fifth animals smoothly. Their eyes were sparkling as they saw the bulging bag full of meat. Hm.

By the way, the reason they managed to hunt a lot of rabbits continuously was that Norn and Bell scared the rabbits out of their hiding place. As expected from Norn. Eh? What did I do? I was collecting herbs while everyone else was working hard. After this, I was planning to grill and eat the meat, so I needed this to teach them simple cooking methods. I wasn’t idle at all. Buying seasoning was expensive after all.

In the first place, it would be wrong to expect me to have melee combat capabilities. In my past life, I used to have pretty good reflexes, though… I wonder why did I become like this.

When they were hunting the sixth rabbit, they started to aim for the vitals as soon as possible. They could sell the skin, so of course, it would be better to make sure there were fewer holes in the skin.

Maricle finally learned how to do a shield bash on the seventh rabbit. Before the rabbit could fall on the ground after being knocked on the tree trunk, the girls stabbed it with their spears and pinned it onto the tree until it stopped breathing.

By the way, the horned rabbit was relatively large. It was around forty centimeters from head to tail, so even one rabbit could give a lot of meat. I mean, it was still August now. Even if they caught this many, it would become rotten immediately if they left it at room temperature… Let’s think about this problem a little.

“This is the eight rabbit, right?”

“Wow! A lot of meat!”

“What should we do now? Continue hunting!?”

Hmm, the three people other than Triela who I had been feeding were energetic, but… they should stop here.

“Stop. We’ll end this here today.”