Chapter 84 - The Story Of A Certain Orphan

I am Triela, an orphan. My best friend was sold yesterday.

To be honest, saying that she was sold wasn’t correct. A certain merchant subsidized the operating funds for this orphanage, and this orphanage was operated with the intent to sell off children with good skills.

My best friend, who was taken yesterday, had a skill that would be useful for the merchant. As a result, she was taken to the merchant’s place.

There were some children who were taken in the past. The older sisters who took very good care of us and the older brothers who were very helpful… None of them came back.

At that time, I unexpectedly met an older brother who left the orphanage because he couldn’t learn any useful skill by the time he was 13 years old and became an adventurer.

That older brother was 18 years old at that time. One day, he happened to meet a child of the same age who was taken to the merchant from the orphanage. The story I heard from him at that time was tragic.

All of the children who were taken were bound by slavery magic and contract magic and they were treated like slaves. Boys would be given the minimum necessities of life and got assaulted on a daily basis to vent the other workers’ stress. Girls would be treated as a plaything. Even so, in order not to lose the children’s useful skills, they prevented them from dying.

Because that boy told the older brother about his cruel situation, he was severely punished in front of him. That older brother couldn’t bear to see it and immediately ran away.

Does my best friend have to suffer that?

Falling into despair, my eyes turned dark. The other children who were listening to him became sad. The atmosphere of the orphanage immediately darkened.

It was obviously illegal to force the children to become a slave. Right after we heard the story, we directly appealed to the director. But it was useless. It seemed like the director knew how the merchant treated the children who had already been taken. He had reported this matter to the administration a lot of times and tried to make them do something about this. But the investor merchant always managed to get away from punishment. No matter how many times the director had bowed his head and begged the merchant to stop this, nothing has changed.

On the contrary, the merchant would cut back his funds on the orphanage when he found out about the director’s reporting him, making the children in the orphanage had to eat less than usual. I recalled that there were times when the amount of their food lessened. I was convinced that this was the reason. After that, we stopped doing anything.

There were many small children here. I shouldn’t involve them.

Ren was a mysterious child.

Even though she was in the same age as me, her tone was polite and calm. Sometimes, she surprised everyone by doing some crazy things. When we went to the forest to search for something to eat, she picked up more edible wild plants than anyone else. But coincidently, she was surprisingly weak and lacked physical strength.

She always had a blank face. When I thought that she was walking right behind me, she would suddenly put her finger on her chin while muttering something and scratched her head. After that, she would stand still for a while before doing something strange again.

She also said a lot of mean things. She didn’t go easy on the boys who made a mess by doing stupid things. Her polite tone made the damage even greater.

On the other hand, she was very caring and the younger children liked her very much. Although she didn’t seem to be aware, the number of children who wanted to get pampered by Ren was extremely high.