Chapter 63 - Arrival At The Royal Capital

We finally arrived at the royal capital. Well, actually we were still outside the walls. There was a long line at the gate, and it had been about an hour after we got in line.

We had traveled along a road between wheat fields and over a small hill, then came to a place where the royal capital could be seen from afar. But what I saw was a heavily fortified city with the royal castle at its center.

What surprised me first was the wall. But what surprised me even more than its size was the number. There were several layers of walls built around the royal castle which was perched on the summit of a small mountain. Apparently, the areas were divided by social class.

The first wall surrounded the royal castle, and the next created a zone where upper-class nobles and people related to the royal family lived. The zone was referred to as the first division. Another wall then surrounded it and was called the second wall. Entrance wasn't allowed without proper identification or a letter of introduction.

This section was composed of lower-class nobles, wealthy commoners, and luxurious shops for nobles. The second division. Lily's parents' house was located there.

Various guilds were also located there. At a later date, I would check out the Adventurer's Guild a bit, but there were many people there who looked strong so I was honestly a bit scared at that time. Everyone looked quite scary.

The outer third wall surrounding the wealthier sections was the commoner section. The third division. It was the largest area. The stores located there were reasonably priced and accessible to everyone. There weren't any particular restrictions on passing through the wall that separated the commoner section from the wealthy section. The guild was also located in the wealthy section, so it was only natural.

Additionally, there were branch offices of various guilds in the commoner section. There weren't many adventurers who lived in the wealthy section, and since it took time to travel to the guild, numerous branch offices were built in the commoner section.

The outermost wall was the wall that separated the commoner section from the outside. People who couldn't live within the walls apparently lived around the outside of the wall. Essentially the slums. But it was probably better having it outside than inside the wall since inspections would be less severe.

The class difference was clear, and it was something an orphan adventurer could understand a bit. The medieval world was tough.

I couldn't help but wonder how the walls were even built. But since there was magic in this world, the construction process was likely a lot easier compared to the medieval ages back on Earth. Although, it probably still took quite a bit of effort.

Additionally, the name of the royal capital was Ascalon. Haven't I heard this name somewhere before? Oh, right. The name of this country was called Georgius Kingdom. Apparently, it was founded by some dragon killing hero. That person is definitely a reincarnator, right?

But it was from a long time ago so it's not like I'm going to see him anyways, so it should be fine?

Lily was explaining all this to me as we waited in line to kill some time, but even so, the line was still very slow. Additionally, we were now on foot. I stored the carriage away when we got to the hill overlooking the royal capital, and we walked from there.

Well, even then, us three girls walking along still attracted some attention. Moreover, there are wolves following us, two of them no less. One of them was very large so it was inevitable we stood out.

Even after we lined up, the surrounding gaze gathered on us and it was strangely quiet, I was already getting quite fed up. It was almost time for lunch and I was getting hungry. Furthermore, I was also tired of standing.