1. The first day of forever

The sun leaked through the arched windows like warm honey, the rays spilling through the white curtains and illuminating the room. Something you would assume one would find comfort in, within the early hours of a crisp autumn morning, but no, not at this hour. 

I could see the sun peaking over the steep hills, situated just outside the window, something about the warmth of the morning didn't quite sit right with me, it reminded me too much of her I suppose, not that I had any memories to be reminded of.

Thankfully however, before I could allow myself to get too lost within this detrimental train of thought, a familiar voice sprang to life before resonating in the air.

"Poppet, Breakfast"

Remus.

His voice was somewhat like a warm blanket on a cold winter's night, the way it's safety and warmth encased you. I always found that regardless of what Remus was saying, something about his soft tone always brought me comfort, and today was no different.

"No, too early. Shush" I groaned as I lifted my head from the pillow momentarily to angle my voice towards the crack in the door.

I hated the mornings, something about a new day always felt uneasy, like each moment of life was so fleeting but yet within the first few hours of each morning everything felt so still. So perfect. Which wasn't true in the slightest, nor would it ever be.

"It wasn't a question, Ari" He quipped back playfully, chuckling to himself absentmindedly. I couldn't see his face but I could practically envision the smirky grin plastered across it.

In spite of this, I hauled myself out of bed, resenting every moment of it. The bitter draft hit my bare skin, erupting my body in goosebumps as a sharp shiver coursed down my spine. It was only September 1st and autumn was already here with a vengeance.

"Good morning idiot," I grinned as I pulled a chair out for myself from the small two seater kitchen table in which Remus had placed, on top, a stack of pancakes and a jug of apple juice.

"Always a pleasure my dear" Remus remarked, feigning a posh tone, before joining me at the table and starting to dig into the mound of pancakes towering over us, although even our best efforts barely made a dent. 

He knew I was nervous. I could see it welling within his eyes, he was nervous too. Understandably so, considering I was starting Hogwarts today after sixteen years of my life, which consisted of fairly minimal contact with the outside world.

My mum, Marlene, died when I was one, and just weeks after my dad, Sirius Black, was sentenced to life in Azkaban. Remus was all I ever really had and all I had ever known, I suppose I didn't mind it that way, or at least I didn't think I did. I didn't let myself think about it.

Voldemort was defeated just four years ago, the order successfully supporting Dumbledore with his triumph over the evil wizard, but with no solid evidence that Sirius didn't sell James and Lily to Voldemort all those years ago or that he didn't murder Pettigrew, the ministry were still no further inclined to re-evaluate his sentence. I wasn't sure how I felt about Sirius, but again, I didn't let myself think about it.

"I have something for you" His voice was tender and soft as usual, but fell heavy as it snapped me from my thoughts, "Deciding to finally attend Hogwarts, especially after all we've been through seems pretty present worthy. Don't you think?"

He reached down, just under his chair and came back up seconds later, only to place two neatly wrapped parcels upon the table and a small envelope on top. One of the parcels was long and rectangular whilst the other was perfectly square.