28. January Jeopardy

Stepping onto the platform, departing form the ruby red train that started it all, somehow it all felt different in the presence of the new year, and along with the January air, a breeze much fresher than the one December harboured, all the secrets we beared just weeks ago had been disclosed, and a new sense of freedom came along with that.

The most notable difference of course was as I stepped off the train, and my numbing fingers, weak from the biting cold, were now thoroughly warmed, interlaced with those belonging to Fred Weasley, as he dragged my case, as well as his own, alongside us.

"M'lady" He had said, feigning chivalry to conceal his sincere gentlemanly intentions as he extended his hand and took my trunk, placing it atop his own to make it easier for him to carry.

I giggled nervously as my stomach bubbled and a warming comfort pervaded that cavities in my chest, the nauseating and distasteful anxiety that racked my body all those months ago, when I had stepped onto the platform at Hogsmeade station for the first time, seemed nothing short of a distant memory, the story of a girl I no longer knew and was quite content in forgetting.

The seven of us walked along the platform, laughing and drowning out the inevitability of what lingered just beyond the castle gates, for once we entered, the adversity of reality would collapse and the flood gates would open and submerge us all in what we were all pretending didn't exist...exams.

For the second we stepped inside Hogwarts, the four weeks that lay ahead would consist of nothing but what was illustrated to me as pure hell, something that was apparently more commonly known as "January Jeopardy"

And these exams would determine not only the classes we remain in for the rest of the year and those we could take in the next, but the state of the following September that was fast approaching, and whether returning to Hogwarts was something we were advised to do.

As much as I neglected to accept the prominent thought, I couldn't help but be overwhelmed with the persistent anxiety that the prospect of these exams was not looking good for a certain Weasley. A Weasley that happened to be carelessly smiling down at me as his finger kept their firm grip on mine.

I couldn't lose him, not yet. He was mine and I refused to let him slip through my fingers at the hands of some shitty exam grades, although thoroughly examining the situation his grades were likely already signed and waiting in an envelope with his name on it, for the school had no doubt predicted Fred's attitude towards the exams and therefore his results.

Although I shook that nauseating discomfort as we continued to exit the station, I still had time to help Fred pass, didn't I?

"Why do they call it January Jeopardy?" I asked to distract myself as we all clambered into a carriage and waited for it to depart on its short journey to the building we would call home until easter.

A few sniggers scattered around the carriage as everyone averted their gaze from mine, George released a small scoff and reached over to pat my head as though I were a dog before answering, "Oh Ardelle, sweet innocent Ardelle"

"Don't call me that, and get to the point Weasley" I retorted fast, growing impatient and anxious.

"January is hell. Everything that could possibly go wrong, always goes wrong in January. Like exams aren't stressful enough, we think the universe just does it to spite us. So whatever you were thinking, don't make any life altering decisions in the next four weeks, unless you want to deal with the consequences"

George explained this as though it was the most casual statement in the world, sprawling himself out to get comfortable, shifting around a bit before resolving to rest his head, what looked to be, rather comfortably in Harry's lap.