45. Ecstasy

"Oh my loves, how I've missed you all" Molly squelled, wrapping Ginny, Hermione and I into her embrace, the scent of cinnamon and fresh baking never having felt more like home, her warmth melting an icy pain in my chest I hadn't realised had developed.

It was only a week until Christmas day, even though the burrow had an exceptional talent of making the world feel like Christmas all year round

Bill began helping Arthur with the cases, hauling them up the stars whilst Molly finished greeting us all, fetching fresh cookies and muffins from the kitchen and insisting Hermione, Harry and I eat one before we disappeared upstairs with the others.

"Sorry we aren't here for dinner dears" Molly apologised, "Just Arthur and I don't get away often and it is our anniversary so-"

Although before anyone was barely given a chance to respond, or even breathe, two unforgettable sets of footsteps came bombarding down the stairs at a dangerous speed, almost knocking frames off the wall in their wake.

The twins stood proud and breathless at the foot of the stairs, chests heaving, faces blushed as though they had just ran a marathon, and the way Fred looked as his eyes silently met mine was something I held onto tightly for fear of it slipping through my fingers.

"No worries Mum, Bill is leaving in a moment anyway" George began, a wicked and sly grin on his face as he handed his mother her overnight bag.

"Yeah, you and dad should really be on your way" Fred finished, catching sight of his dad from behind him and walking him over to Molly, ushering them, and Bill, all out of the door, closing it behind them just as Molly shouted something about us ensuring we were careful and leaving Hermione incharge.

"Right" Fred grinned sickeningly, the crook of his smile making my stomach turn, "Let the real fun begin"

Minutes, perhaps hours stretched by before each of us were all caught up. And as we spoke, never once leaving a beat of silence, exchanging stories and antidotes, filling in the gaps from the months that had surpassed, the world around us took a stand still.

The golden-like warmth that had begun to spill through my chest was very quickly replaced with a twinge of dull guilt as Ginny recalled her best practice quidditch match that took place over the summer, scoring 11 goals, a game in which I had missed, no doubt sobbing and pretending the world didn't exist.

I had left everything I knew, and abandoned everything I stood for her, and for what? All in the, failed, attempt to get over a boy. God did I feel pathetic. But nonetheless I was back now, I had been back for a while, and I wasn't going anywhere, not for a long time anyway.

"How about a quick game of quidditch before the sun sets?" Fred suddenly perked up, having been unusually quiet since his parents had left. The mention of quidditch brought back life into his voice. He sounded like a giddy child and I couldn't help but indulge him.

"I'm down" I replied nonchalantly, scanning the rest of the group attempting to gage their reactions. Everyone nodded enthusiastically, excluding Hermione who didn't look all too pleased.

Fred made his way over to the little wooden shed behind the house and came back carrying all the old and spare brooms the Weasleys had collected over the years. And before we knew it we were assembled into teams. Ginny, George, Hermione and I on one side, and Fred, Harry and Ron on the other.

"Whoever can score the most points before the sunsets right?" Hermione questioned and Fred met her questions with a nod before releasing the bludger.

"You're going down Lupin" Fred furrowed his brow, practically growling as his chest heaved in anticipation.

"I wouldn't be so sure of that" I quipped back, slightly flirtier than I had intended, but before he could respond I had launched herself into the air and charged after the bludger.